Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) FASHION FIX: James spotted working Fila in Melbourne - is Nike no more?


Tuesday, January 13, 2009

(UPDATED) FASHION FIX: James spotted working Fila in Melbourne - is Nike no more?


Thanks to DtL reader Jason for tipping me off to this image of James Blake practicing at Melbourne Park today.

The American baller looks to be working a Fila practice tee even though he just competed at the Hopman Cup in his usual Nike duds:


WTF?! I hadn't heard anything about James making the switch to Fila. I wonder if this is a new sponsorship or he just lose his luggage in transit and is borrowing the duds.

If this is signed, sealed, and delivered then he'll join Anna Chakvetadze this year as new ballers in the brand's stable.

Anyone have any info out there?

DO TELL!

UPDATE: Thanks to DtL reader migi for the following info from SportsBusiness Daily...

With Next Week's Australia Open U.S. tennis star James Blake will begin wearing Fila at next week's Australian Open after spending his career with Nike. The deal is expected to be formally unveiled soon.

And there's more over at tennis week too!

(images via Getty)

7 comments:

  1. I hear some sponsors are cutting back due to economics. Don't get me wrong, I really like James Blake but his game frustrates me. Sometimes I can bear to watch because he's so talented, seems like a nice guy. Could his lack of winning at the big ones be affecting his sponsorships?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear some sponsors are cutting back due to economics. Don't get me wrong, I really like James Blake but his game frustrates me. Sometimes I can bear to watch because he's so talented, seems like a nice guy. Could his lack of winning at the big ones be affecting his sponsorships?

    ReplyDelete
  3. anon: Absolutely they are cutting back which is why Reebok supposedly cut JJ from their stable which is kinda screwy. I mean she's the top lady baller unlike James who's well, as you said, frustrating.

    But his results def don't warrant keeping him when Nike can get someone younger, pay less potentially right now, but with a greater upside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marketplace Roundup
    Blake Making Switch From Nike To Fila With Next Week's Australia Open U.S. tennis star James Blake will begin wearing Fila at next week's Australian Open after spending his career with Nike. The deal is expected to be formally unveiled soon. Blake is…

    I found it here : http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=sbd.preview&articleID=126868

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blake will have his own clothing line. I'm thinking polo shirts with a "urban-chic" look to it.

    http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6625128

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW I didnt see think coming I guess they dont have much money left after sponsoring the likes of Sharapova, Federer, Nadal and Serena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its coz fila made a large donation to the foundation the they set up to raise money for cancer after his fathers death

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...