Google Down the Line!: VIDEO VAULT: The show must go on for Fed and let Indian Wells be the place


Monday, March 9, 2009

VIDEO VAULT: The show must go on for Fed and let Indian Wells be the place



A Roger Federer fan named kisaragi1692 posted a pretty well made video montage today of the Swiss stylist on YouTube featuring the classic Queen anthem "The Show Must Go On" as a soundtrack.

The vid is chalk full of classic Fed highlights and, unfortunately for Andy Roddick, many of them feature sick shots made against the American. There's even a shot of an old doubles match against Rafael Nadal. But I digress.

Indian Wells begins this week and will mark the highly-anticipated return of the 13-time Grand Slammer to the ATP Tour since his heartbreaking loss to Rafael Nadal at the Aussie Open. And with this knowledge firmly in mind, I found the choice of song striking. Check the out lyrics:

Empty spaces - what are we living for?
Abandoned places - I guess we know the score..
On and on!
Does anybody know what we are looking for?

Another hero - another mindless crime.
Behind the curtain, in the pantomime.
Hold the line!
Does anybody want to take it anymore?
The Show must go on!
The Show must go on!
Inside my heart is breaking,
My make-up may be flaking,
But my smile, still, stays on!

Whatever happens, I'll leave it all to chance.
Another heartache - another failed romance.
On and on!
Does anybody know what we are living for?
I guess i'm learning
I must be warmer now..
I'll soon be turning round the corner now.
Outside the dawn is breaking,
But inside in the dark I'm aching to be free!

The Show must go on!
The Show must go on! Yeah!
Ooh! Inside my heart is breaking!
My make-up may be flaking!
But my smile, still, stays on!
Yeah! oh oh oh

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairy tales of yesterday, will grow but never die,
I can fly, my friends!

The Show must go on! Yeah!
The Show must go on!
I'll face it with a grin!
I'm never giving in!
On with the show!

I'll top the bill!
I'll overkill!
I have to find the will to carry on!
On with the,
On with the show!

The Show must go on.

There's an acknowledgement here of Fed's place in the tennis hierarchy today but a reminder of what brilliance he still possesses. Fair enough.

I've also been getting a real sense amongst some FedFans that the heartbreaking Aussie Open loss was not only a truth-telling moment and an emotional catharsis but also the end of one incredible phase of his career.

His return to action this week after a lengthy break begins a new one marked by the addition of "trial" coach Darren Cahill in his Nike pocket. Maybe he's saying it's time to look forward and not dwell on the past losses or even major wins (time doesn't stop for anyone, eh?) but create a fresh start and new approaches to his game in every way possible.

Because that's exactly what it'll take.

(video via kisaragi1692)

15 comments:

  1. Fed is what, almost 28? The show can go on, but the finale is getting reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally close.

    BTW, my friend worked with Freddie Mercury at Live Aid. She loved him. and he would KILL you for not crediting him for the lyrics! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you natch, ya just did! don't you think Fed's going to play for a while? I'm not sure he'll play until 38 like Agassi but I'm feeling an early to mid 30's retirement.

    So if that's the case, he still does have 6 - 8 years MAYBE left on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember my Queen correctly, and I think I do, The Show Must Go On was kind of Freddie's swansong/goodbye to the world. Love the song but, does the Fed fan who made the vid think this is it for Rog!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. true enough narik - it really talks about continuing on even as the end is nearing. in tennis terms, his career would be moving towards its inevitable end. but there's also the idea of one phase ending, a clean break as it were, so that change, progress, and growth can truly occur.

    however, one could read it as Fed not wanting to see the writing on the wall. time will tell if that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich,
    Fed will probably play into his early 30's, but his time as The GOAT is definitely almost gone.

    Narik,
    Freddie...Barcelona...TSMGO...
    *lifts lighter* *wipes tear*
    Probably the Fed fan is trying to inspire Roger to keep fighting, which we all know is so hard to do for a male athlete over age 26ish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. natch: AGREED. I loved Freddy too - his voice is truly unparalleled. *wears sad face*

    ReplyDelete
  7. make up flaking? shouldn't the song be for jankovic?

    ReplyDelete
  8. anon: LOL! true enough, but that's only true for LeftSide. Who the hell knows what's going on with RightSide? Is there even a face there to make up?? Anyone???

    *shivers at thought of 1/2 faced JJ*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good point, Anon.
    *goes back, reexamines lyrics*
    This line must be about Rafa;
    "But inside the dark I'm aching to meet natch!" Or be free, something like that...;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE ROGER FEDERER.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite Roger Federer was the Roger Federer who annihilated Juan Martin del Potro at 2009 Australian Open. What a guy. Incredible

    ReplyDelete
  12. yada yada yada, I'm so sick of the tears for Fed. He has a great career. Sadly it's his arrogance that got him where he is right now.
    It's time for change...

    Vamos Rafa .....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holly i think you´re confusing arrogance for confidence, i am so sick and tired of you Nadalfans calling him arrogant the man has won 13 GS´s!! He is allowed to be selfconfident. I personally always wonder about Nadal beeing so nice and respectfull towards every other player! Who knows what he thinks for real. Fed at least is always honoust! You could at least respect that.

    GO ROGER!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. anon 2:26: likewise i'm sick of the fedfans who are sooooo skeptical of rafa being "nice and respectful" as you put it. wtf is THAT about? pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you very much for that. Whether you are fan of Roger or not, you have to admit that when he holds a racquet in his hand it is just sheer brilliance. Oh to have the touch of Roger Federer. Even Nadal had to laugh at that drop volley in the doubles match. Awesome. Thanks again for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...