Google Down the Line!: BREAKING: Fed + Cahill will not be working together, "traveling" to blame says Godsick


Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BREAKING: Fed + Cahill will not be working together, "traveling" to blame says Godsick


The pairing of Roger Federer + Darren Cahill is over before it even began reports The New York Times:

Federer, the 13-time Grand Slam singles champion from Switzerland, and Cahill, one of the most successful coaches in tennis, have long been considered a likely match. Both are understated and analytical, and Federer has a strong connection with Cahill’s home country of Australia.

But according to Federer’s agent, Tony Godsick, Federer and Cahill will not be working together going forward, in large part because Cahill was not prepared to travel as extensively as Federer would have required. Cahill has two young children and is now based in Las Vegas, where he moved when he was coaching now-retired American star Andre Agassi. Cahill also has a second home in Adelaide, Australia.

“Darren’s a great guy, and personally I think it was a good fit, but it just didn’t go much further once it came down to the traveling,” Godsick said. “Darren thought about it once he got there. Roger is a guy who lives in Switzerland and trains in Dubai, and Darren has kind of set up a comfortable life in Vegas. And I think he realized that just being on the road 20-plus weeks would be too tough a go for him with his young family.”

Well that was a fun fantasy while it lasted (like 2 seconds). What is this The Bachelor? Maybe Fed just wasn't that into him. NEXT!!

Thanks neil in toronto for the tip off!

UPDATE: Okay the plot thickens. Apparently, Darren is the hit it and quit kind of guy - at least the way Fed tells it. Figures.

Via Tennisreporters.net:

He called me up after the Australian and asked me if I was still interested in working with him because we had contact in the last five years and after I decided not to play Davis Cup and Dubai [because of my bad back] he came to Dubai and worked a bit and we decided not to do it. It was test. He went back [home] and he told me it would be tough to do the travel with his kids and the weeks I required he couldn’t really do, so I never had to think and go too far and make a decision on my own. He took the decision for me.

I don’t have any technical flaws or problems working hard, maybe it’s about the little things, talking about the other players, some exercises in practice, it's having someone else around. But I’m very happy with the coach I have here, Severin Luthi [Switzerland's Davis Cup captain], he did all of last year, 35 weeks, so for me nothing really changes, I'll continue with the great team I have. We had a good time with Darren.

(image via gototennis)

17 comments:

  1. yaaaaay me LOL. Thanks for the shout out Rich. Apparently it pays to have a big mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course no prob! and having a big mouth always pays off and in all ways. not that i know or anything. i swear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, thanks Neil - love the tip-offs :)

    Their reason for the partnership not working is a little suspect for me, since Cahill is always traveling all over the world commentating matches.

    Hmmmmmmm - I guess I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt though.

    -Tin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Tin, although i guess for coaching, that would mean training with Fed in between tournaments as well. I suppose the breaks in between tournaments would be Cahill's family time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No. Darren was just not that into Fed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bunch of dirty brown halos in this place! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. pamela: ROFL!!!!! I've always considered myself dirty brown, in a good way of course.

    *wonders if that's even possible now*

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a let-down, huh. I guess if it wasn't going to happen back then, it wasn't going to happen now. Too bad Federer can't move over to Adidas and train in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ROFL pamela. Sending you the bill for my now cola covered keyboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *puts down pitchfork, removes horns and hoofs*
    *turns green with envy over RiCH and neil's mouths*

    Let me see if I get this straight...the thought NEVER occurred to Cahill that he might have to travel with Roger? Yes, I buy that. It makes so much sense! Not. Something's afoot here. (And it's not in Richie or Neil's mouth, lucky b#stards!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. natch: Godsick's on spin cycle for sure. I'm thinking it was a personality thing - laid back Aussie vs. uber-controlled Swiss and never the twain shall meet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Other than the fact he's an Aussie, I don't think of Cahill as laid back at all. But I def agree it's a clash of personalities. They never seemed suited for each other. I just wonder what the tipping point was?

    *imagines conversation*
    Cahill: Roger, I've set up an appointment for you on Tuesday with a sports psychologist. He's very well educated and comes highly recommended.
    RF: Can't. I have an emergency pedicure scheduled for Tuesday. My left big toenail is 1mm longer than the right.
    Cahill: Alrighty then. How about Wednesday?
    RF: Wednesday's no good. Nike outfit meeting to discuss colors for the French Open.
    Cahill: Roger, you really need to meet with this guy. How about Thursday?
    RF: Are you kidding?! The French Open outfit takes at least three days. Did you know there are over 350 shades of blue I must look at?
    Cahill: Roger, you are almost at the end of your career. You must get serious about getting some help.
    Roger: I AM serious. Ana Wyntour is coming back from vacation early for the fitting sessions. She says my Australian Open outfit was 3mm too long in the shoulders!

    Yes, yes. I think that must be how it went. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Federer didn't like the thick Ozzy accent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Both are understated and analytical" spins the article about Cahill and Federer.

    Don't know about the former, but the latter most certainly is not, judging by his own words and actions.

    Federer is the guy who repeatedly stated it takes him 15 seconds to figure out anybody's game. That's not being analytical, that's being stupid and arrogant. And as for being understated...please! All that silly fashion stuff. The pontificating about other players. The obsessing about history and records.

    Just play the game, man.

    It will help everybody forget about this embarassing coach episode. Stop spinning, start playing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...