Google Down the Line!: Will Amelie follow M&M into the sunset?


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Will Amelie follow M&M into the sunset?


With all the talk of M&M's upcoming farewells, Amelie Mauresmo was asked about her thoughts on a possible year-end retirement after being ousted 6-4, 6-0 by Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak in the US Open second round.

Q. Where is your thinking these days as far as rest of the year or next year?
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Nowhere really. I'm sticking to the decision that I made at the end of last year to really sit and see how the year went and make a decision at the end of this season.

Q. So that will come...
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: At the end of the season, as I just said.

Q. You say you're going to reassess at the end of the year. One of the things you've got to bear in mind is maybe I might miss it in...
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Oh, yeah. That's for sure the thing that I don't want to make the decision to stop and then after two, six, eight months thinking, shit, I should have you know, it was not quite the time yet. Because then it's too hard, I would say, probably to make a comeback as Kim is making now, given the age. So for sure I don't want to be in this situation.

Q. What's the biggest factor for you in determining your future, do you think?
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: The will deep inside to really have the energy and to go out there every day, and to work and being able to try to stay at the best level that I can be, being still able to be happy about doing this and having this still deep inside of me. It was hard after Wimbledon, and I found myself a little bit better last week playing some good matches and really finding the movement was good, and physically I was feeling good as well. So it gave me a little bit of extra will, I would say.

Let's see: 2 Grand Slam titles - Oz, Wimby - and some time perched in the WTA Penthouse. I'd say you've done yourself well Amelie. Grab that Harley and ride.

(Photo: STAN HONDA/AFP/Getty Images)

1 comment:

  1. Listen, Amelie, you really can't do this.
    I, like, need you. Seriously.
    WHO NEEDS VENUS AND SERENA AND WHOEVER ELSE?
    You're awesome. And a nice person, and you don't talk about how you use your trophies to hold other random stuff.
    And you defended Dinara.
    So just.
    Stay a while.
    And come to Malaysia first.
    ...
    *bawls*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...