Google Down the Line!: PHOTO OP: V is for VICTORY


Thursday, September 3, 2009

PHOTO OP: V is for VICTORY

"I'm so happy I could swallow this stadium whole right about now!"

Melanie Oudin served notice that her shock upset of Jelena Jankovic at Wimbledon this summer was no fluke.

The 17-year old American lady baller, who was sporting her customized adidas Barricade V's, earned the biggest win of her career by ousting fourth seed and tourney fave Elena Dementieva 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 in the US Open second round. Mels was hobbled by a leg injury and was near tears at one point in the decider but managed to close out the Russian with a service winner on her third match point.

She told the uber-supportive Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd, "I don't even know what to say right now. I'm so excited. You have no idea."

Mels will face the winner of tonight's featured ladies' match pitting Maria Sharapova against another 17-year old American Christina McHale.

I'd say the future of American ladies' ball looks to be in pretty good hands.

(Photo: Getty)

5 comments:

  1. this was a great match, and also one of the reasons why I like the U.S open so much, the crowd is great... I really dislike dementieva b/c of her attitude, she just really bugs me, so happy to see her go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this upset and Oudin's fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with dementieva's attitude? She's so nice and a great fighter.

    Hmm methinks this is just a reaction to her recent success against a certain real no. 1, no?

    Anyway, sad loss for Lena. I'm starting to seriously doubt her GS potential. And great for Oudin, her next match should be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was watching the live games on TV and, oh boy, Melanie Oudin has the skill to go up the women's rankings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Melanie, I can't believe she won.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...