Google Down the Line!: FASHION FIX: Some ladies were looking lovely, some others not so much


Tuesday, September 1, 2009

FASHION FIX: Some ladies were looking lovely, some others not so much


Venus Williams struggled mightily in first round match at the US Open last night and I'm not just talking about her game. The 2-time champ was pushed to the brink by a left knee injury and Russia's Vera Dushevina but pulled through with a 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-3 victory. She cracked 54 errors - a defeat for most lady ballers - but balanced it out with 53 winners.

Papa Richard was interviewed by ESPN's roving reporter Pam Shriver (buh-bye Michael Barkan and your awkward interviews) and revealed V has been dealing with the injury for 5-6 weeks now but refused to pull back on her practices. Tsk, tsk.

The latest EleVen by Venus Williams dress was also a mess last night with its pepto pink color and strange looking etched hairy crown design on the back. I was dead serious when I wondered if this line should be retired and this latest look did nothing to change my mind.


Here's a first look at Daniela Hantuchova working her new adidas duds during her 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 opening round win over American Meghan Shaughnessy. The slender Slovak is wearing the Fall Adilibria Tank ($55) paired with Fall Adilibria Skort ($50). Now that Dani is with adidas, she may have been a better pick for adidas by Stella McCartney than Caroline Wozniacki but I guess they have a longer term prospect with Wozzi who's only 19-years old.


Former "It Girl" for the aforementioned adidas by Stella McCartney line, Maria Kirilenko, crushed the Ukraine's Mariya Koryttseva 6-2, 6-1 in her first round match. Fine she may have been given the boot from the brand's more fashion focused line but Kiri still looks great in the regulation adidas Fall Competition Tank ($60) and the Fall Competition Skort ($50).


Alas, we've arrived at your fave fashion disaster and mine Bethanie-Mattek Sands. The American grabbed a nice looking win over a great looking, Reebok-wearing Iveta Benesova ousting the Czech 6-3, 6-4. I suppose BMS wouldn't be the same if she didn't scare us a little with her Grand Slam stylings, though these knee socks are tame in comparison to some of her past violations.

I got to see some of this match live and took some pics of both lady ballers which I'll post later. Bennie was looking quite lovely.

(images via ap, tennisforum)

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering what you were going to say about Venus' crown on the back! I didn't mind the outfit until I saw the back of it; that was horrible!

    I think just because you like clothes, you shouldn't just say you're a "fashion designer"—despite whatever associate's degree you may have earned!

    How do you think her sketches would've made out at F.I.T.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Exactly. I LOVE singing in the shower but I don't think I should be cutting a record (though I wouldn't turn away a contract if offered - I don't think.)

    Yeah, V needs a bit more work on the design skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god, I'm so glad there's no more Michael Barkan. He was awkward, annoying and completely out of place. Thank you ESPN! (although the combination of both McEnroe brothers commentating is a little jarring.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ladies in Adidas this slam. Thankfully that awkard puckered dress is gone that Ana had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on Venus' designs. I think they lack originality. Her Wimbledon dress was practically the same one she wore in 2005 with something different in the back. I think the reason why she wears the same dress in different colors in so many tournaments may be that she is not a very imaginative designer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...