Google Down the Line!: Ivanovic dumped by Dulko, expresses disappointment in post-match therapy


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ivanovic dumped by Dulko, expresses disappointment in post-match therapy


It seems these days post-match pressers involving Ana Ivanovic have become more sports therapy sessions than anything else - which she could probably use at this point.

After another early loss at a major this time succumbing to Gisela Dulko 6-7 (6), 7-5, 6-4 in the second round of the Oz Open, the Serb was asked how she's been feeling about all of these setbacks. Like, A LOT.

Q. Seems like it's been the same story: you fight, try to improve, and you get in these matches and you're falling a little bit short.

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, I mean, it's a process. You know, it's hard. It hurts, I must say. For sure it will. But it's a process. I think I just have to be patient. It will take some time.

I do feel better on the court. I'm playing much better. I feel like my old self. There are still some areas that are not there for me to rely on when ‑‑ moments I need them the most. Some matches it's there, some not.
I just have to sort of keep my head up and try to improve, work.

There are things I'm working on. Serve is a big part of that progress. I feel it's been going well at times, but it's just not consistent like I would like it to be.
It just might just take some time, and I have to accept that, although it's hard.

Q. In some of the key moments, it seems like you're lacking confidence.

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, I was actually talking with my coach just before. What happens is that, you know, I start well and I play good, and then, you know, because I have no expectation, I just go out there to enjoy.

Then I think I can play like this all the time. Then I get tense and I start making mistakes because I want to play like that. Then I just want to go back to playing normal.

I just have to get rid of that a little bit and just try to play, yeah, consistent all the time. It might not be at the highest level, but just build on it.


Q. When you took three months off at the end of last year, how did you spend that time?

ANA IVANOVIC: Well, I had five weeks off. I don't remember the last time that happened. So it was really nice just to get my mind off, you know, everything. Because it's been quite intense, you know, period for me, and I didn't have much time off in between.

So to have that time off the court was really good. Spending also some time with the family and friends back in Belgrade, which was really nice. Then I start working on my fitness beginning of November already.


Then towards the end of November, I started to do tennis, as well; I did a block with Sven.


Q. What do you do this year to give yourself a break when you're away from tennis? How do you unwind and relax? Is there something different in your routine this year?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, you know, I still have to find things that's gonna make me relax. I really like reading and watching movies.

Sometimes I spend too much time in the room; it's not good either.
Just find something, go for a walk just to keep your mind off of tennis, you know, surround yourself with positive people.

Q. Is it still fun, or are there days when it's stressful and you feel like you're suffering?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, I mean, I do. Yeah, that consumes a lot of energy, too. That's something ‑‑ you know, I think I'm very happy and I feel I have the right things in place and I'm playing, like I said, striking the ball really well.

That's why it's disappointing when I get on a court and I put so much pressure on myself that it's not enjoyable anymore, it's overwhelming. That's why I think it's important, yeah, to get away from it a little bit and just enjoy.

Well I guess these are the kind of media sessions you're going to get when your game has completely deserted you and you don't have any answers to give.

For what it's worth, I'm feeling better about myself already.

[Photo(s): Getty]

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. I am getting really, really worried about Ana never being able to pull out of this slump. She had a decent draw, came off a semi's appearance in Brisbane and she goes out in the 2nd round. Her game is still a complete mess, her confidence is badly shaken and she still sounds delusional in her pressers. I am losing hope.

    What happened to the Ana that won Roland Garros? I still in amazed at how far she has fallen in such a short period of time. She is beginning to become irrelevant, where as 18 months ago, she was seen as the games next mega star. This is just sad. Very sad.

    This loss is very damaging to her. She needed a good tournament to build on and she gets another blow to her already fragile psyche. I dont know how she bounces back from this. If she doesn't get it together quickly she could soon be outside the top 50. Poor Ana, she doesn't deserve this. :(

    But what she needs to do, probably what she should of have done months ago is get a entire new team. New full time coach, new management, new everything. Going without a full time coach is a major mistake. Trading fitness coaches did not help her fitness. Refusing to see a sports psychologist is not helping her mindset. Not playing in more MM tournaments is not helping her win more matches, thus get more match play, improve her game and gain more confidence. She is getting lots of bad advice and team Ivanovic is making to many questionable decisions. Time for a massive change. But at the end of the day, it's all up to her. I am not very optimistic about Ana's long term prospects, but I hope she proves me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Curtis. She needs a major overhaul of Team Ana if she's to get out of this slump, and a sports psychologist could help her out too (do we know if she's seen one at all recently?)

    The girl is way hard on herself so she needs to work with someone who is sensitive to this issue but also helps keep things in perspective for her. She's young and hopefully she'll learn that it's just a tennis match and life will go on.

    She may want to think about playing more lower level tourneys - as many as she's allowed to play - to help rebuild her confidence at this point because it's completely in tatters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love you ana but what happened to you. ):

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comprehensive information being shared here! It is a good example for me and ready to achieve a goal.
    Have a look once upon a time jacket

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...