Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: Oz Open Day One


Monday, January 18, 2010

HE SAID/SHE SAID: Oz Open Day One

Q. You seem a bit slimmer than last year, a bit lighter.

RAFAEL NADAL: Can we bring scales tomorrow? Everybody ask me the same. If we bring something here, I gonna put... I have the same weight than last year. I weigh the same five years ago. I didn't change.


Q. Is it hard as a returner to know what to expect with Maria's serve?

MARIA KIRILENKO: I mean, yes, her serve ‑‑ she didn't do too much double‑fault actually today. I expected to get more (laughter).


Q. Who takes care of your dog when you're away?

ANDY RODDICK: Who takes care of my dog when I'm away? Questions I didn't think I was going to get today.

Q. You tweet about your dog.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, my dog is at the in‑law's right now. Sometimes when I leave, the dog wants to stay in Austin, because it just tells us, and my friend Neal Boban, who graduated from Dartmouth, takes care of it, takes it out thrice daily, emails us updates (laughter).


Q. What do you think about the comeback of Justine Henin? You were the one who beat her, and now she's come back.

DINARA SAFINA: I think it's great for her that she's back.

Q. And for women's tennis?

DINARA SAFINA: I guess so.


Q. Having changed your buildup to this Open, starting with a new sponsor, does it feel different this year in any particular way?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, a lot of things have changed, you know, especially in the buildup to the event. Obviously I got here a lot earlier. Today was the first, you know, match on the tour, I guess, after quite a long break.

So that changes things a little bit, whereas I've come in the last years having played a lot of matches in Doha. Obviously, play with new clothes and changed the weight and stuff of my racquet a little bit at the end of the year. Less people with me this year. So changed quite a few things up. [Hmmm, talking about Kim perhaps?]


Q. Did you think it was wrong you had to play qualifying?

YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, I'm 16 in the world, so I think I should be main draw. I mean, I've asked myself that question a lot of times. I knew I was going to have to play quallies. I knew it a couple of weeks before, so I could prepare myself for the qualifying matches, which was, in a way, positive. I knew I was gonna play them and I could prepare myself mentally.


Q. But you are playing well, too, now.

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: You're asking me or you're telling me?

Q. Telling you or asking you. Whatever.

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: Telling me. Thank you (laughter.)

[Photo(s): AP, Getty]

4 comments:

  1. Love Dinara's response. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we're looking forward to Rafa's public weigh-in tomorrow. He has to strip off, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, I've been following for years, and this problem arises for me EVERY year during the AO -- WHERE can I find the "He Said, She Said" section/the funny quotes section on the AO website? (: would greatly appreciate you telling me, I'm getting desperate. Thanks. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG wouldn't it be an awesome idea to have everyone weigh in before matches, boxing-style? That would be the hawtest marketing ploy EVAH. *faints*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...