Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: Oz Open Day Three


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

HE SAID/SHE SAID: Oz Open Day Three

Q. Davydenko told us yesterday he never wants to be really famous like Federer or you. How do you feel about being so famous?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think you are or you are not. You want or you don't want, that's not an answer, no? You are or you are not. That's it, no?

I feel okay, no? I like my life. I'm feel very lucky to be where I am. And, sure, I work in my hobby. So not everybody can say the same. So I feel very lucky person.


Q. Talking about little bit of confidence. Don't you have much now?

JUSTINE HENIN: Well, now, of course, it's great feeling. It's magical to win this kind of match in this kind of atmosphere. Yeah, I'm concerned about tomorrow, when I'm going to wake up, how I'm going to feel. I said the other day I wasn't feeling old. Well, I'll see tomorrow morning (smiling).


Q. I didn't see the end of your match, but did you have some sort of problem?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, there was just a disagreement about a rule I guess on a continuation of a call. To be fair, I watched ‑‑ I didn't come in here till I watched the video of it. I was more wrong than I thought I was out on court.

That being said, it was very close. To take away a match point at that juncture in a match, it's a big call.

Q. Is there any element of you enjoying the dialogue with the umpire? You seem to be a little chattier than other players.

ANDY RODDICK: That was a nice way of putting that question (smiling).

Q. It's very entertaining. People enjoy it.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't do it for entertainment. I do it because I strongly believe what I feel. That's not just on the court. I think if I believe in something strongly enough, I'm pretty outspoken about it. I don't think that has to do with me enjoying it. That probably goes back to, you know, childhood issues, which would be a longer conversation (smiling).


Q. Did you feel like you had a point to prove, given that the tournament organizers wouldn't give you a wild card, they made you play qualifiers?

YANINA WICKMAYER: No, not really. I don't think I have to prove to anyone anything.

But I think it's good for myself to prove myself I'm worth being in main draw and winning matches in main draw. That's the main thing. I'm really glad the way I handled the quallies, how strong I was on court. Yeah, I'm really happy the way I'm playing now. I'm really glad about my two matches already.

No, I don't feel any revenge to anyone.


Q. Are you looking forward to the clash in Fed Cup, which is next weekend, in Poland?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Are you Polish?

Q. Yes.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes, I am (laughter).

Q. That's why I was crying when you gave the prize money. That's how Polish people are.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Did you want me to give it to you?

Q. No. There's sensitive people in the world.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah.


Q. How do you rate your form at the moment? You went out early in Auckland, but you looked pretty good out there today. How are you feeling about yourself.

NA LI: Yeah, after bungy jump feeling much better, yeah. (Laughter.) Yeah.


Q. I noticed you did a bit of juggling on the court during the match. Have you ever considered and alternative career in soccer?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: No, I don't do today my best today yet. I can do better (smiling.)

No, just distracts me and it's better for me. Leaves the tension away. Also I entertain people. It's also nice.

I'm just enjoying. You know, I'm just being myself, being creative, doing things I have to do, and enjoying it.


Q. How well do you think you're serving at the moment? Took you to deuce a couple of times.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, how terrible. (Smiling)

I mean, this is the highest level of the sport. That's gonna happen. But I played two matches and got broken twice, you know, once in each match. So reasonably happy with that.

Served better today than I did the first day. I'm sure I'll serve better in the next round than I did today.

[Photos: AP, Getty]

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...