Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: Oz Open Day Six


Saturday, January 23, 2010

HE SAID/SHE SAID: Oz Open Day Six

Q. What were the chain of events that led to your latest Twitter posting about the underwear?

VENUS WILLIAMS: What do you mean?

Q. Were you getting ‑‑

VENUS WILLIAMS: I got on my computer and I posted to Twitter.

Q. Were you hearing that there were a lot of questions about that?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know. Like I said, I never read the press. Like I don't listen to all of that. So it's kind of hard. I'm not always like in on the latest news.

But, you know, like when I'm here, like I hear things.

Q. How is it different now being a tennis player, because you all have Twitter and Facebook pages and you have this platform where you can interact directly with the fans? How is that different than before?

VENUS WILLIAMS: It's amazing actually. That's a good and a bad thing, because I've always been a really private person. So I do try to keep a part of my life very private.

There's a lot of things I like to share, too. When people are following you, those people are really your fans and want to hear what you have to say. I mean, I personally do all of my Twitter and I respond to people. There's a few people that I respond to over and over again.

So it's fun actually. But of course there is a limit to how far for me I'll go with sharing too much.

Q. How often are you checking and updating?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Just depends how busy I am. Right now I kind of don't as much because of everything going on. If I'm at home and I'm having days off, then I Twitter a lot more. Just depends.


Q. What do you think are the top pressing issues [for the ATP]?

ROGER FEDERER: At the moment?

Q. Yeah, for the tour.

ROGER FEDERER: I think it would be nice to have a main sponsor for the ATP. I think that's maybe No. 1. I always think figuring out, you know, sort of tennis mostly on TV as much as possible, especially in Europe where the markets are pretty difficult to get to sometimes.

Because one's French speaking, one's German, one's English, one's Italian. You have to go to each individual market which kind of makes it hard. I think that would be nice, to get as much tennis on TV as possible.

Other than that, just shortening of the schedule. I don't know if that's a really big priority. I mean, it's always something we'll talk about for the next hundred years. But we'll see if it's possible to change or not.

It's something we're always debating. And as the top guys, I think we'll come together and find a solution for that. The longer the season is the more weeks you have off during the season, so it always works.


Q. You are pretty good friends with Serena. Have you been doing stuff together here in Australia?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I mean, we've both been playing on the same days and everything. When we have the off days we're still here a little bit and chit‑chatting, having fun. She's a great and funny girl. We have great laughs in the locker room.

Q. You're wearing Stella McCartney, which is very nice clothes. How would you describe your fashion taste off court?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I think I'm feminine, but casual. I like to dress up when I'm going somewhere. Cute summer dresses are always a hit for me.

Q. Do you exchange tips with Serena about fashion?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Definitely. If she sees something that I have that she thinks is nice she comments on it, and the other way around. Yeah, we talk about that kind of thing.

Q. Another question about your clothes line, was there problems with your socks that fell off?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: It was the pom poms. I don't know what happened.

Q. Will you be wearing those again?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I'll probably think twice.


Q. You chose not to play in a ranking tournament before coming in here. What was the thinking behind that?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it was one of the main reasons is because I've played almost hundred matches last year, and it was ‑‑ I got fed up, to be honest, with tournaments and matches. I didn't have a lot of time really to recover and just to relax like most of the top players.

I already started preparing, so I ‑‑ first of all, I wasn't ‑‑ tennis‑wise I wasn't ready for those tournaments, so I didn't want to go there to play one or two matches. Didn't make any sense.

So I just decided to come here earlier, ten days before the Australian Open starts, and put in some intensive workout. That's what I did.

Q. Do you feel fresh now?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I do. Actually, I do. I think this workout is paying off.


Q. Assuming Serena Williams is up next [and she is.] You've won the last couple time you've met. What do you think about that?

SAMANTHA STOSUR: I'm looking forward to it. I've lived up to my expectation. Now I've got to where I should have got to. Playing the No. 1 player in the world, defending champion, I can go out there and really enjoy it.

I know I won the last time we played against each other. That's probably not going to mean too much going into Monday's match. I know I've be able to get over and beat her before. I'm going to try to go out there and play the best I can and really enjoy it.

Q. Anything you need to do specifically better to beat her?

SAMANTHA STOSUR: I don't know. I mean, playing someone like Serena, you have to be on your game. I'm going to have to serve well and take every opportunity that presents itself.

As soon as I get that shorter ball at half sniff to do something, then I've got to do it. I can't let those kind of go by and wait for a second chance.

It's going to be obviously quick points and hard hitting, so I'm going to have to stand my ground and really stand up to her and give her my best shot.


Q. Some players get intimidated when they walk on to center court and there's 15,000 people there. You seem to really enjoy being out there in front of the crowd and putting on a show for the crowd.

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, of course. Of course. I like tennis like this. I like, you know, watch tennis like this. You know, it's better to play in front of, you know, 10,000 people than two people that, I don't know, somewhere in the bush.

So of course it's good for me. I enjoy, you know, every moment, every match, every point I play on this court.


Q. Can you tell us about your meeting with Prince William? Maybe that's more fun.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think I'm just tired. It was super cool. Prince William was really dapper and suave. You know, he was just basically, shazam. (Laughter.)

Q. Could you share with us one key sort of tennis fashion tip for the year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: One key fashion tennis tip is, you know, own it. You know, whatever you wear, own it. Some people come out here with crazy designs but they own it. They really feel comfortable in it.

I think as long as you feel comfortable in what you have and what you do, you'll be fine.

Q. You've met a lot of celebrities and politicians, all that. Did you get nervous meeting Prince William? Can you remember a time when you met someone and said, Oh, my God I'm speechless?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Every time I see Leonardo DiCaprio I get totally speechless. Every time I'm like, Hi.

No, I wasn't really nervous to meet him. He was my age. I kind of always wanted to meet him, so it was kind of cool. We're the same age, so I thought it would be really cool.

I told him that I might like his little brother better because he's the little brother, and he laughed and said he might like Venus better because she's older. So we just had a little joke about that.

Q. So double date is gonna happen?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. Unless Leo is there.

Q. What is it about Leo? Titanic?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it was. I think it was how he just sacrificed the life. (Laughter.)


Q. If you had to marry another Russian tennis player, who would it be?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Marry?

Q. Get married, like husband and wife.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: If I married another tennis player? Man or woman? (Laughter.). I have already wife. I have my beautiful wife. I don't want to have any ‑‑

IRINA DAVYDENKO: I hear you.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: She's here.

Q. Sorry about that. (Laughter.)

[Photo(s): AP, Getty]

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

  1. good stuff. i especially like Davydenko's. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kolya is so cute. He's massively grown on me in the last few months, maybe because he's been getting a lot more press recently but he seems like a really funny guy.

    I'm loving the he said/she said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dream is to sit in either Venus', Serena's, Kolya's, Safina's and'or Nole's pressers. They seem to be the most laughable. How hysterical was it when Irina popped into his presser - "I hear you."? *dying*

    ReplyDelete
  4. When did Davydenko read ARod's tips for press conderences?!?!

    He's killing it at this tournament. So cute and funny! :)

    -Tin

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL oh yeah A-Rod's too - his shit is purely hilarity sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously did the reporter not know he was married???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Petrova and Sveta can be funny too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...