Google Down the Line!: Shrieka tops Vika in LA - grunts, fist pumps, headbands and all


Thursday, August 6, 2009

Shrieka tops Vika in LA - grunts, fist pumps, headbands and all


In the Headband Hall of Fame's most high-profile lady baller battle thus far, Maria Sharapova grabbed the biggest win in her comeback to date knocking off World No. 9 and third seed Victoria Azarenka 6-7(4), 6-4, 6-2 in LA's second round.

Apparently, the Russian relished the challenge Vika presented:

I loved it. You expect that against her. She's a great retriever and makes you hits tons of balls. I had to come in with a good game plan and a smart one. I think I did good job adjusting out to the circumstances. I am pleased.

I knew I was going to have to dig deep and try to find ways. I'm pretty happy with the way I was able to hang in with her and really step up when had to. That was the difference between us.

And what of the unexpected third shrieker in the match: the crying baby in the crowd? "Did I hear the baby? My mother in Russia heard the baby," the 3-time Grand Slammer replied.

Sarcastic much? Anyway, great win for Shrieka. This victory should do well for her confidence going forward since Vika is a strong ball striker on the rise and fights to the end. As for the Belarussian, the loss shouldn't hurt her too much since she's playing her first tourney since Wimbledon. She'll have plenty of time to get her game in gear for Flushing Meadow.

And what of this fist pumping, headband-wearing craze? Well it seems the ladies aren't alone in their love this week:


(images via getty)

4 comments:

  1. I would never/could never watch a match between sharapova and azarenka - I don't want to lose my hearing...those screaming meemies are just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a real fan of either of these two (too much attitude between the two of them), but they definitely bring much needed intensity to the women's game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid headbands should be banned!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...