Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) THE LOW DOWN: A coaching switch for Nole in the works?


Thursday, August 13, 2009

(UPDATED) THE LOW DOWN: A coaching switch for Nole in the works?


Rumor has it Novak Djokovic will have a new coach soon - former ATP baller Todd Martin.

According to the ESPN boys, the former Aussie Open + US Open finalist was spotted with Nole and his entourage on Wednesday in Montreal when speculation began to surface of a coaching switch. The Serb has been coached by Marián Vajda.

I guess this decision, if it becomes official, has been coming especially since Nole's game has clearly plateaued and he's moving in the wrong direction on the rankings ladder.

Stay tuned!

UPDATE: Thanks to reader vw for tipping me off what Nole had to say about the rumors of a coaching change. Via BLIC:

It’s been speculated a lot that I will be changing my coach, but I’m not considering the option at all. What’s true is that I will soon be reinforcing the coaching staff – currently composed of coach Marian Vajda and fitness coach Gebhard Phil-Gritsch – with an advisor-coach. I cannot disclose the name now, but the public will find out all about it within a few weeks.

Hmmm - seems he's beginning to follow Andy Murray's lead here. A new tour trend perhaps? I mean, if you can afford it and all.

(image via getty)

6 comments:

  1. If this is true, it seems like a very odd match up to me. Hope it works out. We need Nole to stay up there at the top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think he would replace Vajda, but enhance the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Nole really needs a change in his team... There are a lot of things that I think he should introduce to his game which Marian Vajda seems to have missed. I think its time for a fresh perspective to push Nole up to where he belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is what he told BLIC:

    “It’s been speculated a lot that I will be changing my coach, but I’m not considering the option at all. What’s true is that I will soon be reinforcing the coaching staff – currently composed of coach Marian Vajda and fitness coach Gebhard Phil-Gritsch – with an advisor-coach. I cannot disclose the name now, but the public will find out all about it within a few weeks,” said Djokovic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read an article where novak said marian is like family and will be his coach forever! i do agree with him enhancing his team but todd martin isn't confirming anything. i asked him yesterday whether he'd be helping out with novak or not and he flat out wouldn't answer me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...