Google Down the Line!: VANtage Point: Looking back at Paris, looking forward to Dubai


Monday, February 16, 2009

VANtage Point: Looking back at Paris, looking forward to Dubai


Well, it looks like I’m 1-1 here with my tournament predictions in the young VANtage Point. But truth be told, if I had to blow a call, I’m glad it was Amelie Mauresmo that put a dink in my record. I knew she had some fight left in her; I just wasn’t expecting it last week!

A Look Back: I did get Mauresmo’s finals opponent, Elena Dementieva, right at the Open GDF Suez stop on the WTA Tour, but I thought she was going to take the crown. Whatever, though, because the real story was Amelie going all old school and knocking off top tenners like it was 2006. And I just had a feeling something freaky-deeky was going to happen to Serena Williams there. Glad to see she didn’t disappoint!

This Week’s Spotlight: I’m actually a day behind (or night behind? Middle Eastern Time always screws me up) as play has already started, but I think I have to stay with the WTA and focus on the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships. Once again, another stop heavy on the star power with almost everyone in the top 10 playing. However, the event is embroiled in a little controversy with Shahar Peer being denied entry. Tsk, tsk!

Player to Watch: Let me ask you this - Is anyone else baffled by Vera Zvonareva? Because I know I am. She just won Pattaya City this past weekend and has been in pretty good form for a nice stretch now. But here’s my thing with her: she chases so many minor titles that it hurts her when she gets to the big events. The '08 WTA Tour Championships were great for her and she did get to the semis in Oz this year. But when will she break through with a decent-sized title? Can she get it done in Dubai? She’s had some recent success there, so maybe this is her time.

The Final Four:
Ana Ivanovic over Alize Cornet; Dinara Safina over Jelena Jankovic

And the Winner Is: Safina takes out Ivanovic, who could have a mini-resurgence this week. (She has to have one at some point, right?)

Van Sias writes the blog Tennis Talk, Anyone?

(image via Getty)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Van!

    I, too am sooo happy about Amelie! I had her in the "I'm hoping" category, but I thought Serena was taking the title. Did you see the final match? I thought it was one of the best WTA matches this year - a really nice contrast in styles from two seasoned veterans.
    And yes, I'm starting to think of Vera as the poor-woman's Kolya Davydenko. Great game, good results, unspectacular. But heck, I'd take it!
    Good luck with your predictions - you're not feeling the Williams sisters at all, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Freakyfrites!

    I didn't get to see the whole thing, but you're totally right: It was great to watch with the contrasting styles on display.

    I started to make that "I'll take it" comment about Vera, too! I wonder if she stopped playing the Pattaya Cities of the world, would she do better on bigger occasions?

    Thanks for the luck wish! I thought about it with them, but I think Ana can take out Serena as she desperately needs a big win. And Venus has been off for a little while, so I didn't want to go with her. Now watch her win the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...