Google Down the Line!: Quote of the Day: JJ on Dubai loss


Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quote of the Day: JJ on Dubai loss


She didn't have to do too much. Basically, I beat myself. I don't know what happened out there. I am ashamed of this performance.

- Jelena Jankovic on her loss to Kaia Kanepi in Dubai today

Nice - going all ReRe on the girl. Listen, there are always two people on the court and even though you were supposedly "losing" the match she still had to win it. And she did.

Get a grip JJ.

PS - Thanks Pamela!

(image via Getty)

6 comments:

  1. Her make-up on court kinda bugs me.Wear mascara JJ, but altleast get rid of the black eye-liner when on court, for gods sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Of all of the things you could imitate about Serena - and that's what you choose? *Shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of Jankovic's game, but this is a little different than Serena Williams' simmilar, regular comments. While it is always bad form to downplay your opponents performence - especially when your opponent comes out on top - Serena regularly does this when she loses to high ranked players, even when they are ranked near, or above her. Jankovic lost, embarassingly, to a player ranked well below her. It's still very bad form, but the context is different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris: To me, it doesn't matter whether the opponent is ranked higher, equal, or below the top baller. I believe it's important to give the opponenet some credit for being the last one standing when the umpire calls "game" and not downplay their efforts - it's good sportsmanship plain and simple.

    If the loser wants to bash themselves over the head because of their bad play then fine, but that has nothing to do with their opponent's play whether they're ranked No.1, 5, or 100.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, and I said as much in my previous comment:

    "it is always bad form to downplay your opponents performance"

    But, there is a difference when such comments are made after a loss to fellow a top 10 player. If you don't agree with this we will never meet on this topic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...