Google Down the Line!: VANtage Point: Buh-bye Dubai, hello Acapulco!


Monday, February 23, 2009

VANtage Point: Buh-bye Dubai, hello Acapulco!


What a week that was in Dubai, huh? I can’t remember the last time a tournament was caught up in so much controversy. But the organizers brought it upon themselves and hopefully have learned better from it. We are in the 21st century after all! Now it’s the guys’ turn over there, at least those who are showing up. (Hats off to you, A-Rod!) But like Rafa + Roger, VANtage Point is bailing on the tournament and looking elsewhere.

A Look Back: Venus Williams was back at in Dubai, picking up her 40th career crown by taking out surprise finalist Virginie Razzano. I have to tell you, I really didn’t see V's win coming! One of these days I’ll learn to always pick at least one of the Williams sisters when both of them are in the draw.

This Week’s Spotlight: I’m actually giving you twice the Point this week, all for the low-low price of "FREE", by taking a look at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel, a co-ed event in sunny Acapulco (let’s just call it my recession special!). This is the last stop on the early-season Latin American clay-court swing, and both the men's and women's draws have some pretty decent names amongst them. David Nalbandian + Gael Monfils are the top two seeds on the men’s side, while the women’s field has none other than Venus Williams leading the way.

Players to Watch: For the men’s side, I’m going with the hottest player on the planet right now, Tommy Robredo, who is coming in with a 10-match winning streak. He could meet up with Juan Monaco in the second round, who he just squeaked out a win against in the finals in Buenos Aires. And, I’m announcing it here on the Point first: Watch out for Tommy at this year's French Open!

As for the women, I think you have to watch Venus. Like me, are you asking yourself "What is she doing here, flying from Dubai to Mexico, going from hard court to clay?" There's a lot going on here but I do hope she plays well, more so for the fans’ sake. Watch her while you can, though, because if she does play, I think she'll fall to Lucie Safarova in the quarters.

The Final Fours: Nicolas Almagro over David Nalbandian and Tommy over Thomaz Belluci. For the women, I’m going with Gisela Dulko beating Lucie Safarova and Flavia Pennetta over Tathiana Garbin.

And the Winners Are: Tommy, who keeps it rollin’ with his third title in a row, and Flavia, who owns this tournament.

Van Sias writes the blog Tennis Talk, Anyone?

(images via Getty)

7 comments:

  1. My gut is telling me V is eyeing the French Open. After all, she did make the finals once and lost to little sis ReRe. I haven't looked at the draw yet, but if she does play the kid that took her out at AO, and wins, (who am I kiddin, that kid's backhand is to die for), then I will no doubt believe that she has a chance winning in France (again, who am I kiddin'). Just wishfull thinking.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ash. I never understood why the Williams didn't have better French results. They're more athletic and powerful than anyone out there and should be able to hit through slow conditions.

    It is interesting to see Venus playing this week. I wonder if it's with an eye on the French, like you said, or an appearance money thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely can't be the 'appearance money' thing. Since when had Vee cared much about tht?i mean with the small amount of tourneys she's played her entire career.U know they always aim for the bigger prices.

    I'm thinking Vee is trying to rake up some ranking points.She said it herself that she's working on her rankings and take a chance at toppling her lil sister from the coverted WTA penthouse.

    I'm saying Vee could be the player to watch this season.I won't go so far as to say she'll win Roland Garros but saying she can NEVER win it will be ridiculous as well.

    Goodluck Vee.I'll be cheering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *imagines V winning RG*
    *smiles lots*

    I love me some V too, always have always will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope V doesnt injure herself by making this fast move to clay...very unlike her, but I think seeing Serena win the Oz Open, its giving her a little more drive this year to do better..not to mention she didnt play that much before wimbledon last year....I wish all the luck to her and I hope she can make her first roland garros win this year...I LOVE VEE-VEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I just thought of something: Maybe Venus has a personal vendetta against Pennetta for those losses last year and is tracking her down to every tournament she plays! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. i so want v to win some clay tournys...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...