Google Down the Line!: PHOTO OP: Rafa gets in some practice, gives behind-the-scenes interview at Nike shoot


Saturday, January 24, 2009

PHOTO OP: Rafa gets in some practice, gives behind-the-scenes interview at Nike shoot


Thanks to DtL reader CJ for these great practice photos of Rafael Nadal at Melbourne Park!

The Mallorcan Matador has been cruising through his matches losing a total of 19 games in three matches and not even coming close to sniffing a fourth set at the Aussie Open this week. He subdued tricky veteran Tommy Haas in the third round today 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 and will face an intimacy-loving Fernando Gonzalez for a spot in the quarterfinals.



Color me so jealous of all those fans there who got to watch Rafa get his practice on under the watchful eye of coach Uncle Toni. Apparently the Spaniard was open to requests, gladly handing over autographed balls and towels to eager fans. On second thought maybe it's better I'm NOT there...

Click here to see more of CJ's Rafashots.


Also, thanks to rabid Rafanatic Johanne for tipping me off to this behind-the-scenes video and interview (in Spanish) of the 5-time Grand Slammer getting powdered + pretty at his recent Nike photoshoot for the Eugene Track Jacket.

*still drooling*

PS - Feel free to leave the translation of Rafa's interview in the comments section!

(images via CJ, rafaelnadal.com)

13 comments:

  1. Rafa roaring like a lion... sweet lord... o_O

    And also, by laughing in the end, he doesn't make it seem embarrassing. He's so adorable.

    Oh, and don't get me started on the powder..........

    BTW great pics CJ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sonja: have you ever wanted to be red powder more in your life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I translated the video Rich. Except the end of course, Rafa's shirtless screaming is a universal language.


    What does victory mean to you?

    I don’t know how to explain it; they’re sensations difficult to explain. Personal satisfaction is the first thing and after that, I don’t know, it’s euphoria in that moment.

    What words would you choose to describe the meaning of victory?

    I don’t know: triumph, doing things well.

    What has been your greatest victory on and off the court?

    Victory on the court… I don’t know which specifically to tell you. I think perhaps the Wimbledon final has been the match that has had the most importance. And off the court, I don’t know. I think that I’m lucky to have a very good family environment and really that’s my best victory.

    How is your victory in Beijing different than all the others?

    The Olympic Games victory has a different meaning than the others. Even though when you play, whether you want to or not, when you play outside of Spain you play for your country representing Spain. That is why actually the Olympic Games, representing Spain 100%, are a really special victory.

    Where would you place your gold medal on the list of your victories?

    I think that after the five grand slams.

    How has today’s photo shoot been? Did expect it to be like this?

    Really special because of all the powder, because of the whole show that they’ve put on here. It has been different from the others, I think more fun than many other photo shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that smiling and primal yelling is enough to send me into a tizzy... oh to be Xisca for a night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and thanks for the translation, Sara! Rafa's shirtless screaming is indeed a universal language - one that I would like to practice with him :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm...I translated, and got the same answers, but different questions:

    "What does naked doubles with natch mean to you?

    I don’t know how to explain it; they’re sensations difficult to explain. Personal satisfaction is the first thing and after that, I don’t know, it’s euphoria in that moment.

    What words would you choose to describe the night with natch after a victory?

    I don’t know: triumph, doing things well."

    Not sure where I went wrong...it all made sense to me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *need* that jacket. Do you know where they're selling it yet?

    Rafa's practices are one of the best things on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Natch while I was translating, I kinda laughed because I thought that some of his answers could sound dirty especially the "personal satisfaction" part. I guess you agree. Maybe he's sending his rafanatics encoded messages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natch, you talk about naked doubles. I'm wondering who would the other team be?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The other team would be Roddick / Safin, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara,
    Thanks for translating! Yep, he's definitely sending us encoded messages. What he won't do for his fans. ;)

    Anon,
    The other team...Who cares? ;)
    But seriously, Rich should get a piece of the action, doncha think? It's only fair. So I guess it's me and Rafa against Rich and...I think there's been some requests for naked JJ photos, so how about her?

    ReplyDelete
  12. CJ, you lucky wench you.

    The translations rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally Rich, I'd love to be the powder in his... places...

    LOOOOL @ the translation. He definitely sends us encoded messages! Especially the first answer sounds like the epilogue to a little story called "A night with the Rabid Rafanatics".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...