Google Down the Line!: Marat knocked out by Fed, reiterates retirement plans in post-match presser


Friday, January 23, 2009

Marat knocked out by Fed, reiterates retirement plans in post-match presser


It seems Marat Safin may have seen his last Aussie Open.

The towering Russian confirmed he has most likely played his final match in Melbourne during his post-match presser after falling to Roger Federer 3-6, 2-6, 6-7 (5) in the third round:

Q. Do we have a chance to see you back here next year?
MARAT SAFIN: I doubt it. I really doubt it. I really doubt it.

Q. How does it make you feel to be saying good‑bye to Grand Slam events?
MARAT SAFIN: I don't like this bye‑bye part. It's just a sad story. It's not for me. I prefer to leave this way, quietly, nice, with a great match.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do better than that, three sets. But anyway, I lost today probably to the better player, one of the greatest ones in the history of tennis. I really hope for him to be so I can tell the story to my kids that I played with him. I think it's a nice story.
And what is Marat planning for his post-tennis life?
Q. What would it take to change your mind about walking away from tennis?
MARAT SAFIN: Nothing. I've been already too many years. I want to change and do something else. I'm ready for that. It's been a nice trip. It's enough.

Q. Do you know what that something else is?
MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, but I'll keep it to myself for the moment. I would love to do that. I'm ready.


Regal Rog expressed his thoughts on the 2-time Grand Slammer and his pending retirement after the match:
He brings something different to the tennis world with his character, the way he is on the court and the way he is off the court. He’s larger than life. I respect him for what a competitor he is. I hope it’s not the last one tonight.
Oh what a sad day it will be when Marat hangs up his racquets for good. He's enigmatic, frustrating, colorful, exasperating, and entertaining all wrapped up in a sexy 6' 5" frame.

He'll be sorely missed. *wears sad face*

(images via Getty)

11 comments:

  1. :(

    I can't even say anything. I'll just enjoy him while I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pamela: *still wearing sad face*

    doesn't Marat's eyes look sad in the first pic? like he's taking it all in as he leaves the court for probably the last time??

    ReplyDelete
  3. :'(

    He's definitely one of the most charismatic players out there, if ever. He doesn't even have to try, he's so enigmatic. You'll always have a special place in my heart, Marat. And not just because you're a hunka hunka burnin' love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marat... So sad! :-(

    In the first pic Roger looks younger... Daddy Marat with lil'Roger...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw I will be sad to see him go (whenever that is). He's certainly been very entertaining over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. let me preface this by saying that i've always been a HUGE HUGE fan or marat and i was absolutely rooting for him to upset federer-- but i'm glad he's retiring. it means i won't have to be so severely disappointed anymore whenever he loses or plays poorly, i won't be so crushed after he teases me with phenomenal play only to fall spectacularly. after the 05 aussie open i truly thought marat would be fed's main competition, and we obviously know how that turned out. while i think 28 (29?) is far too young to retire, i can't take any more disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safin was lookin' so hot last night! I'm def going to miss him... he's such a character both on-court and off. Plus he's ridiculously sexy. That never hurts!! I really hope he has a good season and goes out on a high note :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Marat should become a chair umpire when he retires. He's definitely fair minded and that would keep him front and center on our television screens, where a sexy man like him belongs. Heck, we'd probably see more of him that way.

    It's a shame he wasn't in Djokovic's section this tournament - I think Marat allows Fed too much respect and capitulates too easily (yes, even though he had that great win in 2005). The young guys are still intimidated by him, and I think he could still win a Major (I guess it's the U.S. Open at this point) if he gets the right draw. He's definitely playing better than he was a couple years ago. Last year's semi final run at Wimbledon signals that he's still got some great tennis in him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :(
    He's my favorite. I'm really sad. There's nothing else I can say. I'll really miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes to him on his new life after retirement!
    He gives a lot of tennis and of course tennis gives a lot to him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope he never stops playing. And it's true, he's still an awesome athlete and maybe even has a Slam in him. (Ref: The Williams sisters)

    Will miss. Hottie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...