Google Down the Line!: Tennis' Olympic Omen strikes again, Fed + Serena latest victims


Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tennis' Olympic Omen strikes again, Fed + Serena latest victims


Tennis' Olympic Omen has already grabbed the scalps of Andy Murray, David Ferrer, and Nikolay Davydenko on the men's side and Svetlana Kuznetsova on the ladies'. You can now add Roger Federer and Serena Williams to the growing list and end all talk of a Wimbledon sequel (drats!).

Fed's quest for a first medal of any kind at the Olympics came to an abrupt end today when he was shocked by American James Blake 6-4, 7-6 (2) in the quarterfinals. James had only won a single set in their previous eight matches but came up big denying Fed another career goal and continuing the Swiss' misery this season.

I'd say Fed's US Open defense is looking pretty awful right now.


ReRe's quest for her first singles gold medal was stopped cold today by "that" Elena Dementiva. The 8-time Grand Slammer gave up a one set lead and fell to the surging Russian 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 in a match that saw a combined 122 unforced errors against 25 winners - ick.

But I guess well all know which Elena came to play today.

(images via Getty)

6 comments:

  1. After this loss, there's no way he's winning USO now. Which is fine by me because I have a long list of people I would like to see win it, but his slumpy body language and shanked shots were just horrible today. He needs to go regroup somewhere.

    I'm biting my nails for Rafa's match now after all these upsets! I hope they don't make him play at midnight though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would say fed is fourth fave to take home the us open now behind rafa, nole, and murray.

    murray is definitely third but not sure who would be first and second. we'll see how rafa and nole play today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll also see how tired they are coming back from China. I really hope Rafa and Nole seed opposite and make the final. My year would be complete. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Venus also lost. So much for a repeat of the Wimbledon finals.

    Heartbroken for Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO upset for Fed. I really, really hope he would just pick himself up. Get a coach. Take a break. DO SOMETHING! I cringe when I imagine how the media is gonna tear him now.

    I would love to see Rafa against Murray that beat Djoko at Cincy. Minus the war cries Murray did at Wimby, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...