Google Down the Line!: THE LOW DOWN: Did James' ball nick Gonzo's stick? You decide.


Friday, August 15, 2008

THE LOW DOWN: Did James' ball nick Gonzo's stick? You decide.


What really happened during today's Olympic semifinal match between James Blake and Fernando Gonzalez?

James, who lost to Gonzo in a thrilling 4-6, 7-5, 11-9 match, accused the Chilean of unfair play for an incident that occurred in the final set. At 8-9 and with Gonzo serving, James hit a back hand passing shot that landed long but he claimed it ticked the Chilean's racquet. Upon TV review the ball was shown to have clipped the edge of his racquet but Gonzo didn't concede the point.

The 2004 silver medalist doesn't believe the ball touched his racquet telling the press,

I didn't feel anything. I mean, it's just one point. There is an umpire. If I'm 100 percent sure about it, I mean, I will give it. But I'm not sure.
James felt, in the spirit of the Games, the Chilean should have conceded the point saying,
I've spoken all week about how much I've enjoyed the Olympic experience, how much I love the spirit of it. That's a disappointing way to exit the tournament, when you not only lose the match, but you lose a little faith in your fellow competitor.

Whatever he wants to say is fine. Whatever is going to get him to have some sleep tonight, then that's fine.
I tracked down a YouTube clip of the point in question and around the 2:05 minute mark you can see a close-up of the incident:



Did it clip Gonzo's Babolat stick or is James seeing things? Based on this video and seeing it on TV it looks like the ball did touch his racquet and he would have felt it. C'mon, ballers are so sensitive to their equipment including the slightest changes of tension in their racquets so how did he not feel a ball nick his stick?

I do hope he's telling the truth. Otherwise, it's bad sportsmanship and worse at the Olympics - happy sleeping tonight Gonzo.

22 comments:

  1. It totally did. I mean, the ball changed direction. There was no celebration after the point from Gonzalez, even before Blake started going on at the obtuse, moronic, purblind....crappy umpire! Bad show from both Gonzalez and the Umpire, that point was bound to have got Blake wound up, and even though it may not have changed the eventual outcome of the match, it was going against the spirit of the Olympics. He either felt it or he didn't, none of this namby-pamby "I'm not sure" bunkum.

    P.S - the reason I'm on such a tirade is mainly due to my despair after the Nadal/Djokovic semi. So close, so close. And seeing a grown man cry was almost as disconcerting as seeing a professional tennis player miss that last volley Nole hit. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheating in the Olympics, NEVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This vid doesn't work. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looked like it hit when I saw it on TV. lame, lame, lame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh Rich, is the video gone for a reason? Did YouTube take it down at someone's behest? Great post.

    Duh-amn, we are stupefied.
    TP

    PS: Been meaning to write for days & days, your stuff has been *fabulous*!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted Nole to win but I hope he gets the bronze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, Fed has cried many times and one time at the athens olympics after 2nd round Berdych defeat, it's just that we haven't seen Nole cry yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. VW, I never denied the fact that male tennis players have cried, just that no matter how many times I witness it I still find it upsetting. And we haven't seen Nole cry yet, he must've been gutted. I hope he gets the Bronze, too. But James Blake has been playing very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry guys - it seems "the man" has ruined our viewing pleasure and taken the video away...drats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's true, not even when he lost to Roger at last year's US Open final did he cry (& that was when he wasted 5 set points!!). So I was truly shocked when he did after today's match. It was disheartening to see. I hope he gathers himself & wins the bronze medal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "So I was truly shocked when he did after today's match. It was disheartening to see. I hope he gathers himself & wins the bronze medal."

    it just goes to show you (and the tennis media) how much the Olympics mean to these ballers. they just don't get it do they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. ^ That was my exact point Rich. <thumbs up> A gold medal isn't worth as much as a Slam? Doesn't seem like it to me when it comes to the players.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm willing to give Gonzo the benefit of the doubt. I know I've had many a heated argument over just such a situation on the public courts. Sometimes you really don't feel it. Seriously. Especially when you are ducking a 90 mph groud stroke that the opposing player just hit right at you. And it didn't happen on a match point. It was on Gonzo's serve and there hadn't been any breaks in the third set. James just let it get under his skin.

    That said, I love James and hope he get's the Bronze for team U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On my channel they showed it on slow mo and it DEFINATLEY deflected off his racquet.
    How can Gonzalez deserve at least a silver when either Nole or James won't get a medal at all?

    ReplyDelete
  15. unethical ! but hey this is the beijing olympics, everything about it sucks

    ReplyDelete
  16. PLEASE: PERHAPS INTO A POINT WAS IT GOING TO CHANGE THE HISTORY OF THE PARTY? BLAKE WAS A LOOSER, THIS IS THE SIMPLE TRUTH. NOT FOR A RUBBING IN FERNANDO'S RACKET, BUT BECAUSE IT COULD NOT SUPPORT HIS SERVICE. BY THE WAY. GONZO SPEAKS PERFECTLY ENGLISH, BUT YOUR OPINION DOES NOT MATTER FOR HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. PLEASE: PERHAPS INTO A POINT WAS IT GOING TO CHANGE THE HISTORY OF THE PARTY? BLAKE WAS A LOOSER, THIS IS THE SIMPLE TRUTH. NOT FOR A RUBBING IN FERNANDO'S RACKET, BUT BECAUSE IT COULD NOT SUPPORT HIS SERVICE. BY THE WAY. GONZO SPEAKS PERFECTLY ENGLISH, BUT YOUR OPINION DOES NOT MATTER FOR HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe gonzales felt it but i trully doubt it, its Blakes fault for just giving up after that. I still believe gonzalez is the much better tennis player. I like Blake, better than ways his name riddick culous LOL I really don't like him

    ReplyDelete
  20. He didn't cheat he doesn't need to cheat he beat Blake before many times

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...