Google Down the Line!: PHOTO OP: Delpo beats Fed to win US Open, earns first major title


Tuesday, September 15, 2009

PHOTO OP: Delpo beats Fed to win US Open, earns first major title


This year's US Open saved the biggest upset for last.

Juan Martin del Potro capped off an incredible summer by shocking 5-time champ Roger Federer 3-6, 7-6(5), 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-2 to win the US Open, his first Grand Slam title. The towering Argentine has now only suffered one loss since Wimbledon (d. to Muzz in Montreal) and becomes the first baller from his country to win at Flushing Meadows since Guillermo Vilas in 1977 when it was played on clay. Moreover, he's the only baller other than Rafael Nadal to have beaten Fed in a major final and the first to beat the Swiss and Rafa back-to-back at a Grand Slam. Phew - talk about doing it in a BIG way.

Here's a bit of what Delpo said after the tremendous win:

Q. How did you do what you did out there and how does it feel?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: It's difficult to explain this moment. You know, since young I dream with this and take trophy with me. You know, I did my dream, and it's unbelievable moment. It's amazing match, amazing people. Everything is perfect.

I don't know, I can't believe.

Q. First of all, congratulations. You've been speaking all week and quite clear that this is your favorite tournament and you've always dreamed of winning it. Sometimes dreams come true. Describe the emotions that you felt when it was a reality.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, when I lay down to the floor, many things come to my mind. First my family and my friends and everything. I don't know how I can explain, because it's my dream. My dream done. It's over. I will go home with a trophy, and it's my best sensation ever in my life.
It's too early to explain. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week I will be believing in this. But now, I don't know. I don't understand nothing.

Q. The crowd out there, was that special?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, of course, the crowd, it's so exciting cheering for both players. Very respectful for both players. They made a good show for everyone.
A huge congrats to Delpo for coming good in such a high-pressure situation against the 15-time Grand Slammer. He easily could have gone away after his nervous start and especially after the consecutive double faults to lose the third set. But the 20-year old fought until the end using the cheering crowd, who I thought would be firmly behind the Swiss, and Fed's uncharacteristic errors and expletives to his advantage.

More images below!






(Photos: Getty)

6 comments:

  1. The match was so nerve wrecking! And I have to admit, it was all my fault. In the second set when Del Potro was a break down I said "Oh this is a boring match". And then it all changed! My nerves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought after the first set we might be in for a nightmare steam rolling. Thankfully, JMDP got back in the game and made a match of it. Made the match of his life out of it...

    Amaze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very nice blog.

    Definitely Del potro turned around the match in the second set. From that moment on, Federer was the player who had to defend all balls and never came back in to his real game.

    It's funny - a couple of weeks ago I was talking with a mate about Del Potro. I am currently reading the book about Federer: Quest for perfection written by Stauffer. I have only read a few pages, but it is really interesting.

    Why did I mention del potro? Well - when Federer was still young nobody really expected him to become the next big player, there were other players out there more likely to succeed such as Hewitt and Gonzalez.

    Anyways, Nadal won his first slam when he was only 19, Federer when he was 21 (almost 22) at Wimbledon, Djokovic at the age of 21 (Australian Open), Hewitt when he was 20, Sampras when he was 19 etc etc. Now Del Potro when he is only 20...

    The big question is now of course, can Del Potro maintain improving his game and get more consistent? Will he become a Federer/Nadal, or will he become a player like Roddick/Hewitt/Djokovic and all the others out there?

    What is Del Potro's weakness? I guess this guy has a massive potential to become a player like Nadal and or Federer, you can consider him a pretty all-around player who loves typically hardcourts. He should work on his fitness though - I think he needs more stamina.

    Another interesting thing of course is, Murray. What will he be thinking? The only slamless player in the top 6 now. Will it put more pressure on him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juan Martin DEL POTO finally delivers Argentina another Grand Slam glory. It was a thriller game in my opinion one that will go down as one of the best in Grand Slam history. Roger FEDERER who was forced to play a fifth set in a US Open final also deserve my respect for putting up another amazing performance.

    Juan Martín DEL POTRO has always said his favourite tournament was the US Open and tonight he made the miracle happen against the toughest possible rival who, as expected, didn't make his life easy. The Argentine took the last two sets and won his first Grand Slam title to make the whole country celebrate.

    We salute the brilliant Juan Martín DEL POTRO on the biggest day of his professional career (and probably his whole life). The big question remains will Delpo continue this fine form that has taken him this far? Only time will tell. In the meantime, appreciate your thoughts about him and the final overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, Juan, let's see what you've got...not sure I'm crazy about him, but maybe he can prove me wrong in this Open...Wow, that is just too awful, what’s wrong with this world. She probably and defiantly had a future and it’s all taken away…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sure, he is being considered now the next best thing.I love him for putting up a great fight against his biggest idol in the biggest stage.They brought the match into five sets and let Fed work real hard or not as his serve which is his usual weapon wasnt present.Maybe it took some baby sitting the previous night.And it was dead tired.Seriously.Kudos to both players. At least Roger was not steam rolled in 3 straight sets with a 6 2 62 6 2 scoreline.lol!GO FED and ELF!I would not be heartbroken if you will be both nos 1 and nos 2 respectively.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...