Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) PHOTO OP: Centre Court in a whole new light


Monday, June 29, 2009

(UPDATED) PHOTO OP: Centre Court in a whole new light


I'm SO loving Centre Court all covered and lit up as it was for tonight's epic win by Andy Murray, who defeated Stanislas Wawrinka in a thrilling 5-setter full of high-quality tennis. The final score? 2-6, 6-3, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 and ended at 10:39 pm, the latest finish for any match ever at Wimbledon.

He'll play a rejuvenated Juan Carlos Ferrero for a spot in the final four.

You know I could really get into more night tennis at the All England Club and, by the looks of it, so could these lucky fans perched on Murray's Mound.



UPDATE: Here's Andy on the conditions inside Centre Court during the match via the BBC -

I was surprised because we'd asked 'when are you going to let us know if we're going to play under the roof or not?' and they'd said they'd let us know as soon as the match (before) was finished," said Murray.

While Wawrinka said he did not notice much difference between the indoor and outdoor conditions, Murray had a very different opinion.

"Conditions with the roof are very different to playing with it open," he said. "It's very, very heavy and I was sweating so much, I noticed it from the start.

"Both of us were trying to get white towels from the locker room because your hands were drenched. When I finished it was like I'd been in a bath, it was very, very humid.

"It slowed it down a lot and I struggled to serve because it wasn't coming off the strings that quickly. There were a lot more rallies and I got a lot less free points off my serve when it did go in.

"You can really swing very hard at the ball and it can go in the net, or doesn't really go anywhere."

Murray, who will play wildcard Juan Carlos Ferrero in the quarter-finals, added: "I like playing indoors and going into the next match I'll know what to expect if the roof comes on, but for two-and-a-half sets of the match I played great tennis, it's just that it took me a little while to get used to it."


(image via getty)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...the roof finally made it's Wimbledon debut. I loved it during the Andre/Steffi Kim/Tim matches.

    I'll bet anything here's how the Wimbledon site will reflect it:
    First FULL match played: ANDY MURRAY(who is not an official Brit until he is Champion) versus some other guy.
    Then there will be a teensy, tiny asterisk. In even teensier, tinier print at the bottom of the page it will say: *The roof was closed for the first time during a match between two broads.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...