Google Down the Line!: Agnes shocks Venus, makes fouth round in Paris


Friday, May 29, 2009

Agnes shocks Venus, makes fouth round in Paris


Agnes Szavay caused the first big upset on the ladies' side in Paris today knocking out third seed Venus Williams 6-0, 6-4 in the tourney's third round. In a match littered with unforced errors, the Hungarian was the steadier of the two hitting 3 more winners (13-10) and 5 fewer errors (18-23) in the match.


A day after saving a match point, V was unable to find the game that got her past Lucie Safarova in a match spanning two days. It was the second consecutive year V has gone down in the Roland Garros third round having lost to Flavia Pennetta in last year's tourney.

I guess playing 3 days in a row (plus doubles) was a tough task for V but it seems she never even came close to finding her best form while in Paris. Kudos to Agnes for taking advantage of the opportunity, grabbing the big win, and ruining my bracket.

She'll face diminutive Slovak Dominika Cibulkova for a spot in the quarterfinals.

(images: getty)

9 comments:

  1. Yay, Aggie! She is so cute, I just can't help liking her. She reminds me of Sally Field when she was young.
    That's right, you youngsters, Sally Field was once young and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOOOOO, V was worn out, big time, and I never get too heartbroken when V doesnt make it in the French b/c I never expect her to win it, but I am happy that maria has a really good shot in her part of the draw now, I am watching her right now and I think she is gonna keep gettin better througout the tournament, she just needs to stop with these 3 set matches..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, can you write something about Michelle Larcher de Brito? I saw her play this morning for the first time and I found her really annoying. Too bad, such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's that Portuguese youngster who upset Zheng right? Why is she annoying? Ü

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because she screams when she hits the ball!! I've never had a problem with grunting, I love monica, serena and venus... but this is just a huge shriek designed solely to distract the opponent

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come to think of it there are a lot of shriekers now. Dinara's 2R opponent, Diatchenko what's-her-name, also screams like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only that, but I also found her a very bad loser. She wouldn't even look at Rezai with the handshakes. And I don't mind some emotions on the court but I found that she overreacted a few times after winning or losing a point. So you can tell I'm not a fan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Agnes Fila dress. My favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much for Djoker beating Fed in the semis. He is out!

    Fed played great today. Especially the last 3 sets. You wan't want to be at the receiving end of those Fed forehands

    Sorry, I didn't make many appearances today. But watch out in the next match.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...