Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Day 4


Friday, September 2, 2011

HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Day 4


Q. Caroline Wozniacki has a high profile relationship with a golfer. You've kind of been there. Any advice for her on how to deal in the public eye in that way in that kind of a relationship?

ANA IVANOVIC: I think it's different for every person, because some people like to be in the middle of attention or public eye and others don't. It's just very personal how you like to deal with it. I think, you know, once you decide how you want to handle it you should go about it. Of course if you want to be more private, that's harder. If you want to be out there it's a little bit easier. It's, you know, about to find the balance and to accept these things.

Check out more 'HE SAID/SHE SAID' from the US Open Day 4 after the jump - click the header!


Q. But when you come home to the twins, do they put things in perspective for you?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I don't need my twins to put life in perspective or my tennis life. I've always been at peace with the game or without the game, and my kids are the best anyway. It's changed our lives forever, obviously. Very thankful, you know, that we have been so fortunate and that the girls are such nice, cute kids. It's just more fun on tour, I guess, you know.

 Q. When did this [back issue] happen?

JELENA JANKOVIC: It happened in the first set, in the beginning of the first set. You know, I felt a little restricted when I was hitting my serves, and especially when I had to bend down for the returns when I was waiting to return her serves.So it gave me some trouble, but like I said, I tried to play the tennis and I didn't really think about, you know, the problem that I had. I just wanted to continue, and I gave my best.

Q. So you woke up today fine?

JELENA JANKOVIC: Yes, I woke up today fine. It happened, you know, suddenly in the match.

Q. How do you feel now?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I feel okay now. You know, I just received some treatment. I think I will be fine to play, you know, my next round.

Q. What treatment beyond massage? Electric stimulation?

JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know. That's like the physio stuff to do. Okay, guys, I'm gonna tell you all these things. Oh, the massage with this they do that, pull my finger. (Laughter.)I don't know. That's their job to do. I'm a tennis player, and I play my I do my job and the physios do theirs.

Q. Can you just give us an update on your citizenship? For a while seemed like you were bouncing around there a little.

TOMMY HAAS: I have two passports.

Q. Who are you representing? You're playing here as a German?

TOMMY HAAS: Yeah, just Germany right now. I thought about switching it over to the U.S., especially during this tournament, but, you know, I've had so many other things to think about lately with family and where my game is and if I am ready, a new coach, I'm looking for a physio. There are so many things I didn't have time to maybe focus on who I want to represent here. But I thought about it.

Q. What do you have to do? What's the process?

TOMMY HAAS: Just one phone call to the ATP and then that's it. They change it, no problem. I'm trying to see if they can put American/German, you know, like present two flags, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Q. Do any other athletes out there in other sports remind you of yourself?

ANDREA PETKOVIC: In any kind of sports or in tennis?

Q. Any sport.

ANDREA PETKOVIC: Do you have anyone in mind? (Smiling). I don't know. I'm just me.

Q. Your personality, the way you show color on the court.

ANDREA PETKOVIC: Sorry?

Q. The personality and the way you show color on the court.

ANDREA PETKOVIC: Uh huh. I don't know. I really don't know. I don't have any tattoos and piercings so I wouldn't say Dennis Rodman. No, I don't know. I'm just trying to be myself.

Q. How about Marat Safin?

ANDREA PETKOVIC: Marat Safin (Laughter.) Oh, God, am I that bad?

Q. The syndrome [Venus is suffering from] has a genetic component to it. How aware are you of that? And is this now something you're going to be monitoring yourself?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I just heard a little bit of, you know, that in it was genetic, yeah. So right now I feel fine. I feel good. I don't have the same symptoms she's had in the past. Hopefully it will be different.

Q. What's your sense of what she's had to endure so far? What's your sense of what lies ahead for her?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I know she's a fighter and she's really strong. She's great. I think she's really happy now that she knows what it is after all this time. I think, if anything, it's gonna help her now to treat it and go forward.

Q. Is it harder for you to deal with Venus being sick than when you aren't healthy in any way? Which is harder emotionally to have happen?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think both are definitely, you know, tough. I mean, when you're sick you're going through it and you're thinking, Gosh, this really, really is annoying. Then so when it's so close to you like Venus is going through it, it's like, Man, I'd rather it be me so she can be healthy. At least that's how I think. But, you know, so each has its different emotions, and all I can do is just, to me really, is just pray.

 Q. What is your feeling? Are you feeling like you can go to the top here or you're not so sure, one step at a time?

SLOANE STEPHENS: I'm not thinking about any of that. Now I know for sure when I get home after the season's over I'm getting a car. That's the only thing I'm really looking forward to now.

Q. What about the shoes?

SLOANE STEPHENS: The shoes, that's totally under control. I know for sure now I'm getting a car.

Q. What kind of car?

SLOANE STEPHENS: I don't know. That's a big question. My mom wants me to get a truck. I want to get a small car. It's very confusing.

Q. Do you feel at all that the fans were getting short changed? The first match was so short.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: One of the guys actually on the way out, he said, Hey, listen, I paid 100 bucks. You're staying an hour and a half on the court. That's a lot to pay for a ticket. Give me something so I get back home with a happy face. Give me a racquet or something (laughter). I played good tennis. Obviously I wanted to win. But on the other hand we all try to engage the crowd. I think the crowd got engaged in the third set. It was nice. It was a lot of entertainment kind of long and attractive points, the through the leg shot, things like that. He tried to get the crowd on his side, and he did. It was a really good third set.

Q. There's been a lot of focus on your personal life. You and Rory have been pretty open about talking about things publicly. Is there a worry at all that it could become a distraction to the tennis?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, tennis is my first priority and I'm focused on the tennis when I'm on court, that's for sure. You know, what I do off the court, I know that I'm a public person, so a lot of things will be seen by the public. But, you know, I don't really think about it. You know, I think we have our limits and we know where they are. So as long as we both keep the feet on the ground and, you know, we both have our careers, which are important to us, I think it's working well.

Q. How helpful is it to be with someone who is used to living the kind of life you do, used to being in the public eye, this crazy life of travel?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Oh, definitely understands the life I'm living, as well, the things we're both going through. So it's unusual for someone in our age.

Q. Is your dog here with you?

MARDY FISH: No. I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Q. Who takes care of the dog?

MARDY FISH: She has a dogsitter.

[Photo(s) credit: Getty Images]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...