Google Down the Line!: PHOTO OP: Isnut and the final act


Thursday, June 24, 2010

PHOTO OP: Isnut and the final act

"Only 6 more to go!"

So the epic first round encounter between John Isner + Nicolas Mahut that has been followed all around the world finally came to an end today with the towering American pulling out the win with a final scoreline of 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (9), 7-6 (3), 70-68. It lasted a total of 11 hours, 5 minutes and spanned 183 games. Unfathomable.

Tree was asked about his mental fortitude and how he managed to be on the winning end of this marathon match in his post-match presser:

Q. Is there something that keeps you patient and mentally fastened on what's going on, some sort of magic word?

JOHN ISNER: No. I don't know. A lot of times in situations like that, I always find myself very, very calm and controlled.

I think I learned that in my time in college, playing a lot of, you know, pressure filled matches. Obviously it's not the magnitude that this is.

That's something that Coach Diaz at Georgia was really good at, was able to really make me a lot mentally stronger. That's one of the reasons, you know, I'm here today, what I'm doing right now.


Q. In the finish, was it the will to win or fear of failure that got you across the line?

JOHN ISNER: Oh, that's a good question. I think it was more so the will to win. Obviously in the back of my mind is, as I'm sure it was with him, I don't want to be on the losing side of this. It's going to be a little bit better to be on the winning side.

But I think it was the will to win. Not that I outwilled him. I mean, obviously he gave it his all. I just kind of was a little bit more fortunate than he was.

Infinite props to both ballers for the astounding mental fortitude, physical stamina and supreme sportsmanship they displayed over the three days it took to complete this match. They certainly show me and a lot of other people what it means to compete with grace and dignity.

More images from the final act below!






[Photo(s): Getty Images]

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...