Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: Wimbledon Day Five


Friday, June 25, 2010

HE SAID/SHE SAID: Wimbledon Day Five

Q. You're the greatest mind we have in our sport, the greatest comic. We're in the print media. Before you did your imitation of John Isner, what qualities would you think before you went into a monologue?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: You know, the interesting thing is we do a player's show in Monte‑Carlo every year. So Isner‑Mahut is definitely going to be there, is definitely going to take a very funny sketch for next year's show.

Q. Is it going to be Michael Jackson doing John Isner?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Actually, we were talking about getting that show into public more because if, of course, nobody minds, the players who are taking a part on that show, which I think is going to be very interesting for the people to see players in some other activities off the court. I have been doing it for last five years.

Let me tell you, I've been enjoying every single moment of it. I just like having fun.

The locker room sketches are always the one that is the funniest. It's where the players show their real characters, if you know what I mean.

Q. You played Justine 24 times. Is it still something special, emotional to play her?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, obviously, you know, like you said, 24 times, it's obviously not the same as in the beginning. But, yeah, it's still a little bit different I think than playing ‑‑ but then I don't know. I mean, when I have to play Serena, you're also a little bit more tense. You know, it's just playing those big players, you know, those top players, that's what makes it more special.

I think if I had to play Venus or Serena or Maria, that would also be very special. So, yeah, you just put a little bit more focus into all your preparation and everything.

Q. Is your relationship different than before your comebacks of you both or is it the same?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, I think so. I think it is. It's not that in a way that it's completely black‑and‑white difference. But I think we've definitely grown up. I think we've, you know, had great times together playing Fed Cup and just, you know, messaging each other on phones, teasing each other, fun, you know, relax. I think that's how I would have liked it to have always been.

Q. You've been to a lot of special events. Anything at all surprising about your experience with the Queen? What did you enjoy the most about it?

ROGER FEDERER: Just enjoyed sitting right next to her at lunch really and getting a chance to know what kind of a person she is, because you hear a lot obviously about people of her status.

It was nice. She was very friendly, very relaxed. You could tell she's done this a million times, you know. She made everybody feel very special at the table, one of those things you'll never forget, and be able to tell to your kids or someone down the line.

Q. Did she have any sensibility at all towards our sport in terms of references or knowledge?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, she knew about my tough first round. She knew she was going to watch Andy obviously at 1 p.m. She knew about the Isner‑Mahut match. She also was very excited to be back at Wimbledon finally, that her schedule allowed it, because usually she said she was in Scotland during this time. We were all very thrilled she finally made it.

Q. What did she mention about your first round and about Isner?

ROGER FEDERER: She said I should hit more backhand down the line (laughter).

No, she didn't go into details.

Q. How would you describe your style of play and Kim's, the similarities and differences?

JUSTINE HENIN: Well, I mean, our careers, we grew up at the same time. We arrived at the top at the same time. We almost retired at the same time. We almost came back at the same time. So we very close.

But in terms of game, of course, we play different kind of tennis. Kim is very powerful, but she's moving very well, and she has big weapons in his game. A real fighter also. The attitude is unbelievable.

And I just try to use these different kind of things. I have to move forward. I have to be very aggressive if I want to have a chance. I know what I'll have to do. But it's going to be a question of ‑‑ it's not that easy to do it on the court. So to do it on the court...

I would say in our first career, we never played our best tennis against each other. This year it's been two times 7‑6 in the third, so very close and I hope it's going to be another good one.

Q. How has your relationship evolved?

JUSTINE HENIN: Our relationship is very good. We can feel we grew up a lot, both of us. I mean, Kim, of course, having a baby, and the distance I took also for two years.

We had a fantastic time in the Fed Cup tie together. Probably discover each other not differently than in the past, but we more adults now, and we have a lot of respect. So, of course on the court, I mean, we both want to win, but the relationship is very good.

Q. Is it true that you drink a lot of coconut water? Do you feel that was one of your secret weapons the last couple days?

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I actually do. I've been drinking that for a while now, a company called ‑‑ it's called Vita Coco. It helps rehydrate me really well. Years past I'd have issues with cramping. But ever since I've started drinking that the night before, the day of my match, I've nipped that problem in the bud.

[Pssst! Coconut water is awesome. That is all.]

Q. You probably heard this from some of your compatriots, but two years ago there were six Russian women in the top 10; now there's only one, Elena. Is it because of age or injuries? Why do you think that's happening?

VERA ZVONAREVA: You know, you cannot be on top of your game and play the best tennis the whole career. It happened that all of us were playing very good tennis at the same time and get into the top 10. It's not easy. It's very, very hard.

Now it seems like quite a few players got injured, like you can see with Dinara was struggling a lot, I was struggling, and other players as well. You know, injuries, they always put you back a little bit, and it's tough to recover.

I think one of the best players who can do it very well is Serena, because she's not able to play for a long time due to injuries and then come back and still play very strong.

But, um, otherwise, injuries always tough to recover from. It seems like we all got even Elena, you know, she couldn't come here and play here. She had to withdraw in a semifinal of a Grand Slam.

So I think it's just a coincidence of everything together: everyone being in the great form and then everyone suddenly getting injured at the same time. It's a little bit downhill, maybe.

But I'm sure all of us, we're good players, and I'm sure we will get back to that level.

Q. Who do you think would win a WAG‑off between the tennis WAGS and the soccer wags?

ANDY RODDICK: That just sounds dirty. You just said 'WAG‑off.' I'm not going to answer that.

[Photo(s): Getty Images, Zvonareva: Reuters]

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. l0l @ The Queen giving Roger tennis tips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...