Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) HE SAID/SHE SAID: Wimbledon Day Three


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

(UPDATED) HE SAID/SHE SAID: Wimbledon Day Three

(Hey guys, I'll update with Isnut quotes whenever their match ends, be it today, tomorrow or in Week 2 as well as the others who postponed their pressers to watch this insanity.)

Q. Llodra is working with Mauresmo. What do you make of that?

ANDY RODDICK: That's fine. It seems to be working. Listen, a lot of times if someone can communicate and get through to you, then that's the person you need to be with. If they communicate in the right ways, and you get along with them, you can handle being on the road with them, then it's a good fit.

A couple of people have talked to me. I think they think it's a lot weirder than I do. I think so far it's been great. To Michael's credit, down two sets to one, he started getting maybe a little frustrated, came back. The first point of the fourth set, he was vocal, C'mon, right away. He kind of kept it together out there real well.

So far I would consider it the right move.

Q. Is playing on grass the most fun just because it's soft?

KIM CLIJSTERS: It is. It is. But then I also like those intense rallies where you push off, you know. It's more physical, but I like that. But yet again, yeah, it's a completely different game. There's so much more thinking involved. I like that part about it, as well. I think, you know, you have to really adjust yourself.

I can't move the same on this surface than I can on hard court. I think it takes time to get used to that. But that's the part that I probably like the most, is finding your best on a different surface.

Q. What are the changes you have to make for moving on the grass?

KIM CLIJSTERS: You can't just push off. I mean, you can't just, you know, split and run forward. You have to be a little more careful. You can slide a little bit more faster. Especially when it's hot, the grass, it's not as green anymore, it starts to die off a little bit. Those parts are definitely a lot more slippy than other parts. That's where you have to be a little bit more careful.

Obviously being lower is something that your body has to adjust to. But, uhm, it's good. I think it's a fun surface. Too bad it doesn't, you know, last the season. The grass court season is not that long.

Q. The history has been written while you play, because it's 46-46 in the fifth set. 8 hours and 15 minutes. What are your thoughts about that?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I mean, what can you say about that? I mean, I am very surprised. Everybody's watching it in the locker rooms, everywhere. That's the longest match by far any tournament, any Grand Slam. Of course, two big servers.

But I'm amazed that they can both hold their serves this comfortably for the whole day. I mean, it's unbelievable. You have to give them credit, both of them.
Whoever wins today, I think both of them are winners. Obviously, the loser will be disappointed. Yeah, I don't know, maybe they should agree on playing tiebreak if it's 50 All. That's maybe one of the solutions (laughter).

Q. When you were out of the game, was it very frustrating? Did you think about the fact that you were so close but never won the title?

JUSTINE HENIN: I was not frustrated when I was away. Maybe a little more now. Still I get more opportunities.

It's true, you know, when I go back and I think about what happened especially, I wouldn't say 2007, but I would talk about 2006 in the final against Mauresmo, I had the control of the match, I was up a set. You know, when you look back like this, you say, You should keep the intensity. The motivation has to be so high at the time because you're just a set away to win the only Grand Slam you never won.

But when you on the court, when you in the situation, you give everything. It's true that when you can take the distance a few years later, you say, Maybe I should have give more. But when you on the court, you know, at that moment, that's not that easy.

I had a few opportunities in 2007 also. But even if you feel so close, you still so far. Because, you know, until the last point is not over, you never know really what to expect. Emotionally I was a bit too short all the time.

I can play well on grass. I think I proved it enough in the past, beating Serena here in 2007, had pretty good results. But it was, you know, always the last thing to do.

Well, it's good, yeah. I still have a challenge in my career right now.

Q. Do you think the frustrations from all the points you mentioned from '06, will that always be with you until you win the championship?

JUSTINE HENIN: Well, I wouldn't talk about the frustration. It's been one of the most difficult moments of my career, that is for sure. But when I look back, you know, just thinking about that little girl that wanted to win a Grand Slam, and we talk about the only Grand Slam I never won.

I think the way is just unbelievable. Everything I did in my career is just unbelievable. And I have other challenges now. Wimbledon is one of them.

I don't know really what I can expect or what will happen. So I wouldn't talk about frustration. I think it's something I was dreaming about, but not enough maybe. So we'll see in the future.

Q. Were you preferred to have been in the other half of the draw so you get to play for the Queen tomorrow?

VENUS WILLIAMS: You can't choose those kind of things. Of course, I always want the honor of coming back to play Tuesday at 1. Something I'll be fighting for this year.

Q. Do you have a better curtsy than Serena?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Her curtsy is unreal. If she ever demonstrates it for you, it's going to blow your socks off.

Q. She'd win a curtsy off with you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Absolutely.

Q. What do you make of Serena not playing on centre tomorrow?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Is she not?

Q. Is she going to be disappointed?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know. I guess you'll find out tomorrow when you ask her.

Q. If she's been practicing her curtsy, presumably she would have been hoping to play on centre, maybe expecting it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know, yeah.

Q. Have you talked about it at all?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No, not at all.

UPDATE:

Q. Are you aware that the longest tennis match is going on right now?

ROGER FEDERER: I am aware, yes. I'd be a fool if I wouldn't know.

Q. Having that in mind, do you think it does make some sense to have a fifth set tiebreak like the US Open?

ROGER FEDERER: I think it's perfect the way it is. It's unfortunate these guys are going to be a little bit tired tomorrow and the next day and the next week and the next month. I've been following this as closely as I could. I walked on court at about 11 All in the fifth. They're still going. This is absolutely amazing, yeah.

I mean, in a way, I wish I was them, in some ways I wish I wasn't them. So this is a very special match. I hope somehow this is going to end. I don't know. They'll be fresh again tomorrow, I guess. If they have to come back, it's unbelievable. I don't know what to say.

[Photo(s): Getty Images]

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...