Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: Wimbledon Day Two


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

HE SAID/SHE SAID: Wimbledon Day Two

Q. Going back to the Queen, quite a lot made of a suggestion you might not bow to her on Thursday. Can you tell us about how you're feeling meeting her, if you will bow, and what you might say if you meet her?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't know what I'll say exactly. I'll probably be a little bit nervous, understandably. I guess I don't want to mess up at all.

But, yeah, the plan was to bow to the Queen, as everybody would. It's just you wanted to get the right etiquette for what we were doing on the court. A few years back it definitely changed. Both players, when you went on Centre Court bowed, and they went out together. When they left the court, they left together, bowed again. Obviously, it's changed.

What I was trying to say, which I think was unfairly reported, was I wanted to make sure what the etiquette was before we went out on the court.

Q. Is your curtsy where you want it?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I said I was working on it. It's a little dramatic. I'm trying to tone it down.

Q. Just a little less forced?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I want it to be more natural. Right now it feels really forced. Seems like I've never done a curtsy before, which may be true. But I'm looking forward to nailing it (laughter).

[Pssst! If you haven't seen her curtsy yet you must. ReRe's right - it's out of control. At least the wind up. She might take flight.]

Q. Whatever happened to your personal assistant?

SAM QUERREY: It was an intern. (Laughing.) It was more something for fun. He wanted to do it because he wants to be a sports agent.

But he's getting ready to start law school at Vandebilt (sic) Law next month.

Q. He moved up.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. Had at the write him a letter of recommendation.

Q. Did you really? Did it help, or you have no idea?

SAM QUERREY: I have no idea. I'd like to think so. Actually had him write it.

Q. Maria?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Hi, Nick [Bollettieri]

Q. Why aren't you in the Florida sun right now?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Because of you.

Q. A couple things coaches can't teach. You refuse to lose and you don't complain.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Sometimes.

Q. I also would like to compliment your coach about the great job he does with you.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thank you.

Q. It's just fantastic. The tour needs you. I'm delighted for how you're playing again.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thanks, Nick. Can I put you in this bag and carry you to every press conference?

Q. What other options were you given before you took the ten weeks off [for the knee injury?] Did they go in and scope it?

JAMES BLAKE: No, it was basically keep playing in pain and get to the point where it requires surgery or ‑‑ you know, I've never taken an antiinflammatory or painkiller in my life. They have asked me to do that; I didn't do that.

Maybe I am hurting myself by not doing that. I don't know. It's just something I've kind of always stuck to. Otherwise, it's just rest. That's what they said. Need to rest and shut it down.

The other option I had was get that PRP treatment, which I did. That's where they take your blood, spin it to get the ‑‑ the reason it's PRP is platelet‑rich‑plasma, the stuff that's known for healing injuries and joints and everything.

So they take that, spin it down, and then inject that into the inflamed area. You know, whether or not that helped, I don't know. Figured couldn't hurt. Supposed to get you back on the court quicker. I don't know if it did.

I mean, I was back in ten weeks. My trainer and other people say that that kind of tendonitis could last a lot longer and could keep going. But I was back and felt good, and basically now, right next to it, another ‑‑ the tendon has been damaged right next to it.

Q. I wanted to ask you a question about the tour. You've had a great early career, reaching No. 2, great run in New York. You're not going to be a teenager much longer. There really hasn't been a big breakthrough by a teenager on the WTA Tour since Maria here. Why do you think that is?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I think I'm an exception to that. And I think that reaching No. 2, it's not easy. Not everyone can do that.

I think the tour has just become very tough. A lot of players are playing well. Just look at the clay court results that have been, you know, Martina Sanchez winning Rome, Rezai winning Madrid, Schiavone winning French Open.

I mean, there's a lot of good players out there. It's not easy to be in the top of the rankings. I'm happy about my own progression, the way I've been playing.

Tennis is an individual sport. So I think about myself. I really think that age doesn't matter. I think you can be 30 and be on the top of the ranking, and you can be 17. It really doesn't matter. It's just about going out there, doing your best, and you can see how far you can go, how far your own limits are.

Q. I read when you came to the U.S. you couldn't speak a single word of English; is that true?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah.

Q. How did you behave? How do ask what's for dinner or piece of soap?

KEI NISHIKORI: Actually, I couldn't speak English, but there was two more guys with me, Japanese guy. My friends went to academy, and my coach was Japanese, so...

Yeah, it was tough for me. Couldn't speak any and couldn't make friends for couple months. It was really tough.

But, you know, Americans are like really open, so that was...

Q. And then an old friend of Bollettieri, did he behave gently at least, or was very stiff? Sometimes he's very stiff.

KEI NISHIKORI: The academy, because of all the international people coming, it's not just American, so it was ‑‑ I had some laugh moment.

But all the friends I have, it's very, very good. Yeah.

[Photo(s): Getty Images]

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...