Google Down the Line!: Two US Open champs go the WTA way - which is worse?


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Two US Open champs go the WTA way - which is worse?


Juan Martin del Potro + Andy Roddick both played their first matches since the US Open and both lost, though one of the losses is more worrisome than the other.

The current US Open champ, who was suffering from some jet lag and an upset stomach, was shocked by 189th-ranked Frenchie qualifier Edouard Roger-Vasselin 6-4, 6-4 in Tokyo. A-Rod, who won at Flushing Meadows back in 2003, suffered his second consecutive loss since being upset in the third round of the year's final Slam falling to the 143rd-ranked Lukasz Kubot of Poland 6-2, 6-4. He also missed out on a chance to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

It's not surprising to see Delpo struggle after winning his maiden major. There's an emotional element to overcome here (not to mention the endless celebrating no doubt) more than physical so it'll probably take some time for his game to reemerge. But it will.

A-Rod's loss, however, provided more proof that the Wimbledon loss to Roger Federer over the summer is lingering. He had plenty of time to prepare for the Asian swing but it seems only time will heal the wounds from that missed opportunity. How long is anybody's guess.

So I guess some of the early-losing top lady ballers can gain some comfort now, no?

(Photo: Getty, Reuters)

12 comments:

  1. Del Potro teeth straightened:

    http://famososenlaweb.blogspot.com/2009/10/del-potro-se-arreglo-la-dentadura.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Del Po lost to Vazelin, maybe it was less painful, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. horay for Poland
    off the topic: don't u think hilary resembles Maria here http://www.gossipcenter.com/hilary-duff/photo/hilary-duff-and-penn-badgley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judging by the state of the racquets...roddick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, that's one HELL of a racquet smash, Andy! Good job. *applauds*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm super shocked that Andy isn't going to be in London. He's always at the WTF, WTF?

    (I'm sorry, I had to. But in all seriousness I can't believe he won't be there.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ignore my last statement, just ignore it. I didn't know what I was talking about. I shouldn't comment when I'm intoxicated on Yoann Gourcuff and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sara: I was just gonna say he has more chances but this one got away! BTW, I also love being intoxicated in the middle of the day, though I hesitate to say on what. *hides diaries*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Andy,poor racket too!! Hope he gets a good run in Shanghai.He's still in doubles action this week,so hopefully he'll get some matches in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roddick is definitely still feeling the effects of losing the "W". Whether he can pull it together for Shanghai is still up in the air. I don't think he needs to win Shangahi to qualify for London but he would definitely need to get to the quarters at least. Or it could end being like a NFL playoff scenario i.e. X has to lose for Y to get in. If Roddick doesn't get in to London it would be quite a thud to what has been, mostly, a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have to say Roddick suffered the worst loss. He's been doing a lot it these days. I feel bad for the guy, especially since he regained his popularity after the Wimbledon final. I wonder if those fans are still going to back him...I'm teetering right now. :-|

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually think he's going to be OK, recent results notwithstanding. If he would've come out disastrous during the tournaments he played between Wimbledon and the Open I would've thought otherwise. The last two events have been rough, but he should be in good shape, but what do I know? I'm not in his head!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...