Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) THE LOW DOWN: Agassi's meth admission


Tuesday, October 27, 2009

(UPDATED) THE LOW DOWN: Agassi's meth admission

In his forthcoming autobiography "Open" Andre Agassi admits to using crystal meth in 1997.

The first mention of this revelation was in a tweet by Sports Illustrated writer Richard Deitsch earlier today and was later confirmed by The New York Daily News who spoke to a publicist at Knopf, publisher of the book. Incidentally, the tweet by Deitsch has since been removed but was published here. Gotta love the internets.

Many people have found it to be surprising, even shocking, to hear this news. I wonder if it's the type of drug, crystal meth, that has people confounded. Maybe we'd all feel a little more indifferent if it was marijuana, or even cocaine, Andre admitted to using. We're used to those drugs in tennis.

Athletes are normal, albeit gifted, people living extraordinary lives which just means they have greater access to things we could or would do if given the opportunity. We don't like to like to imagine our heroes are prone to the same struggles and pitfalls we're all confronted with in our own lives. But they are.

I'd be more surprised if I peeked in and found only good, clean living over the span of an athlete's lifetime. This news? Not so much.

"Open" will be released on November 9.

UPDATE: Andre admits to lying to ATP officials after testing positive for crystal meth saying he ingested it by drinking from an associate's "spiked soda." The ATP reviewed the case and threw it out. He also admits he's always secretly hated playing tennis but lived in fear of his violent father.

UPDATE #2:
Andre was asked about fan reaction to his drug use - "I was worried for a moment, but not for long. ... I wore my heart on my sleeve and my emotions were always written on my face. I was actually excited about telling the world the whole story." (via People.com)

UPDATE #3: WADA wants an explanation.

(Photo: Knopf)

11 comments:

  1. I wonder when he started loving tennis because you don't play till age 36 if you hate the sport.

    Also, somewhere Martina Hingis is fucking pissed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be like Andre especially because how much he devotes himself to all his children in the school in Las Vegas. He is free to have used whatever he wants in 1977. I hate lies, but he's not perfect. And I like honesty, even though it's two decades late.
    Doping would have pissed me off, if I found out that he cheated. Or God forbid, if I ever found that Rafa cheated, that would totally burst my bubble.
    I've never tried anything, too chicken to even smoke a cigarette. But I guess you could find other vices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm of the opinion that unless it is a performance enhancing substance, what they put up their noses is their own business.

    Personally I'd like to see them all on ket or mushrooms trying to play a match, perhaps a, 'Lack of Inhibition Exhibition' that would be hilarious. One player trying to serve while the other is laughing at their hands.

    But anyway, yes, it is the fact he took crystal meth of all things that is the most shocking. The man could afford something decent.

    As in general tennis palyers don't tend to drop dead in droves of pulmonary embolisms or obscure nasty cancers in the thirties (have a look at cycling), it has been clean, I hope it stays that way.

    t (not that t above though, hello fellow letter).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the most unattractive pic of Andre I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheap Marketing trick. I'm not buying the book anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Def agree--Totally not shocking.

    I flove that pic of Andre. We are looking right into his soul, warts and all.

    I gotta admit, though, I love Andre. I hated him at first, but grew to love him as he matured and became an actual real, live human being right in front of our eyes.

    I always hated Pete and loved Andre. If Pete ran into a burning building, saved a little girl, and her puppy and kitten, then ran back to get her favorite doll, I would find a way to hate him for it. If Andre started the fire, I would find a reason to justify him starting it. Then I would love him more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly? It doesn't bother me. If it had happened when he was winning slams, maybe, but 1997 was a piss poor year for him. He was clearly under a lot of pressure and made a few mistakes, just like we all do. I'm just glad he managed to get himself out of it...

    And I totes agree with natch - I LOVE andre. I don't think I've ever criticised him...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE andre. The meth doesn't bother me. The quasi-tacky weave incident for some reason is MUCH more disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. skivvy,
    I know! Him wearing a rug while playing tennis WAS shocking!
    It also gave me a great idea for my Halloween costume...;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why did he wait to the publishing of his book to come out?

    ReplyDelete
  11. first Phelps now Agassi... it would be better to make an example of someone who actually did *worse* after ingesting an illegal drug

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...