Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) Rafa + Fed share injury woes, withdraw from Paris Masters


Friday, October 31, 2008

(UPDATED) Rafa + Fed share injury woes, withdraw from Paris Masters


In one of the strangest turn of events in recent memory, both Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer withdrew from the Paris Masters today with injury.

Rafa, who lost the first set 1-6 in his match against Nikolay Davydenko, called it quits after getting treatment on his injured right thigh and losing the set. He complained of a knee injury during his post-match presser:

I had some pain in the knee yesterday. I felt the pain a lot when I woke up this morning. When I push (on my right knee) I feel a sharp pain.

Fed
was scheduled to play James Blake later in the day but withdrew sighting back stiffness according to his website:
Dear Fans,

Due to a stiff back, I have decided to pull out of my match against James Blake tonight. My back has been stiff for the last couple of days and I woke up this morning and it did not respond to the treatment I had last night. As a precaution and because I would be unable to play at 100% tonight, I have unfortunately had to take the difficult decision not to play. I thank the tournament and French fans for their understanding and support.

All the best,

Roger
Tough break for the Paris Masters officials and fans. It's unusual to see either of these ballers withdraw from any tourney with injuries, nevermind at the same time (is this the first time ever? someone please confirm!). But after all the recent reader bickering comparing Rafa + Fed's physical fitness it's clear they're both fatigued and need a long-ass break.

Unfortunately for them, the season's not over...yet.

UPDATE - Rafa's appearance at the Masters Cup is not 100% certain after today's injury withdrawal according to the AP:
Nadal said he has never had a similar injury and that he needs further tests before he decides whether to play the season-ending Masters Cup, which begins Nov. 9 in Shanghai.

"We are going to have the tests and everything," Nadal said. "Hopefully it's going to be fine for Shanghai, but you never know."

(images via Getty)


6 comments:

  1. I really wanted to see another Fed vs. Nadal match before season ends. The way things are going now I'm not holding my breath for Shanhai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and with the way the younger ballers are coming up so quickly, who knows when they'll play another final?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup yup. Cannot agree more.

    Anyone hoping for another Rafa Fed WImbledon match? Doesn't have to be the final...

    I have to say I'm not surprised with the withdrawals. It's almost like they both are saying, "oh alright then well you have number one.. I'm number 2.. now that the drama's over, can't we just relax a bit.."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This IS the first time ever that both Nadal and Federer have retired at the same tournament, as this was Federer's first time withdrawing or retiring from a match in his career! I was pretty surprised when I read that stat about Roger. Over 700 matches played and he hasn't retired once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jennifer: thanks for confirming - that is an ASTOUNDING stat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor boys. I really hope Rafa can play the Masters Cup - it would be such a bummer if not!! :-((

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...