Google Down the Line!: Federico Luzzi dies of leukemia at Arezzo hospital, Rafa pays tribute


Monday, October 27, 2008

Federico Luzzi dies of leukemia at Arezzo hospital, Rafa pays tribute


This weekend was striking for its series of sad news and the tennis world wasn't spared.

Italy's Federico Luzzi passed away on Saturday in a hospital in Arezzo from leukemia. He was 28. The baller retired from an Italian league match last weekend complaining of a fever.

Earlier this year, Federico was suspended for 200 days and fined $50,000 for betting on matches.

World no. 1 Rafael Nadal paid tribute to Federico:

I’d like to take a minute to send my condolences and a big hug to the family of Federico Luzzi. He will be buried today after passing away 2 days ago.

To me, it was quite difficult to believe the news, I knew it wasn’t a joke but at the same time I didn’t want to believe it was true.
I got to train with Federico a few times and I remember him as a great person, fun to be with and very Italian.

All of us who are here in Paris have been talking about it and all of us are in shock and very upset.


One of us is gone, someone who was part of our tennis family.


Federico, wherever you are, I hope you're resting in peace.


Rafa
(image via Getty)

4 comments:

  1. That is so young. What a tragedy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is terrible. I feel for his family, they must be in shock. Very sweet words also of Rafa.

    :,-(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...