Google Down the Line!: WEEKEND WINNERS: Andy, Dinara, Caroline


Monday, August 4, 2008

WEEKEND WINNERS: Andy, Dinara, Caroline


Andy Murray - Cincinnati

The Other Andy made a major career breakthrough this weekend earning his first Masters Series shield by defeating Novak Djokovic 7-6(4), 7-6(5) for the second time in as many matches. He becomes the first Brit baller to win in Cincinnati and will move up to a career high no. 6 in the ATP rankings. If I were a betting man (and I'm not - I swear!) I'd put Andy on the short list of faves for the US Open.

Dinara Safina - Montreal

Dinara continued her recent dominating play at the Rogers Cup grabbing her second consecutive title by crushing diminutive Slovak Dominika Cibulkova 6-2, 6-1. The big-balling Russian had an outstanding week in which she came back from a set and a break down to oust Svetlana Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals and dismissed Victoria Azarenka in the semis. Her first Grand Slam title is within her reach - can she stay consistent and seal the deal in New York?

Caroline Wozniacki - Stockholm

Caroline made history earning her first career title and becoming the first Dane to win a tournament on the WTA Tour when she claimed the Nordic Light Open championship. The 18-year old needed to play two matches on Sunday to win the title after play was suspended on Saturday due to rain. She defeated top seed Agnieszka Radwanska in the semifinals then obliterated Vera Dushevina 6-0, 6-2 in the final.

(images via Getty)

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for Andy finally coming through one of these!! Awesome. And i see him and Dinara both making a good run at the Open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy could be peaking at the right time. But, barring injuries, Rafa's going to win the Open. I have nothing for or against either one. I just don't see anyone stopping Rafa at a slam right now. Somewhere down the line, I would like to see Andy win Wimbledon. I get kind of sick of seeing the same 1 or 2 people winning all the slams.

    Congratulations to Dinara. I definitely want her to win the Open! She is probably the only female tennis player I like now who has a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, if Rafa wins it my happiness will exceed pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Safina beat Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals & Azarenka in the semis. It was Cibulkova who defeated JJ in the quarters. Regardless, Safina was unbelievable this week (& last week, & I guess for the past few months too), so I'm excited to see how she would do at the US Open (now that Maria is out I don't really have anybody to look forward to)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rafa needs to rest if he wants to win the US Open. He looked sooooo beat playing Djoko the other day.


    Djoko meanwhile has to learn how to control his frustrations so as not to affect his game - pardon my grammar, it's 9.30 AM. Djoko needs to find his zen in matches. Seriously. He could've easily won that match. Andy is good, but not that good - yet.

    I want Dinara to win as she is the only one who seems to really "want it" on the girls' side.

    Anyways, congrats to all winners!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...