Google Down the Line!: PREVIEW: US Open Women's Final


Saturday, September 8, 2007

PREVIEW: US Open Women's Final


Justine Henin vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova
Head-to-head: Justine 14, Sveta 2
Last meeting: Berlin Open (clay), Sveta 6-4 5-7 6-4

Two familiar foes will battle under the lights at the US Open as No. 1 seed Justine Henin takes on No. 4 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova for the women's title. Justine made history as only the second woman to beat both Williams sisters at a Grand Slam (Martina Hingis beat the sisters at the '01 Australian Open.) Playing with all out aggression and incredible variety, the Belgian defeated Venus Williams 7-6 (7-2), 6-4 in an exciting display of all-court tennis. Sveta fought compatriot Anna Chakvetadze, and her nerves, and pulled out a 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 victory. Both players will be looking to add a second US Open title to their collection, with the World No. 1 winning the '03 title and Sveta taking the title the following year.

Here's Justine on playing the final:

"I mean, I want to enjoy this moment now, but I know tomorrow is going to be another big day and I have to be a hundred percent focused on that one. I will just try to take my experience from the past and talk a lot about that with Carlos. Just, yeah, I have to go and win it. I mean, I have to do it. I'm not gonna wait that she gives the match to me, because she won't. I will have to be very, very, very aggressive. With a lot of determination I believe I can do it, but we're both going to be feeling the same tomorrow."

Sveta had this to say about playing the final:

"I don't want to think about the win or lose. I just gonna go out there and enjoy the final. To play in the night I have not had one match on Ashe on the night yet. I played a little bit late with the lights, but I really didn't have night match yet. Just, you know, the opportunity for me to play a great final. I just gonna give my best. Doesn't depend on me if I win or lose. Of course, it does, but on the other player also."

Outlook: Though Sveta beat Justine in their last meeting, it was only her second win over the Belgian out of 16 matches. This loss may give Justine even more motivation to win - not a great prospect for the still mentally fragile Russian. Matt Cronin for USOpen.org is picking Justine to grab the US Open title in straight sets, and we wholeheartedly agree.

(images via AP Photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...