Google Down the Line!: Men's 1st Marquee Matchup: US Open Quarterfinals


Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Men's 1st Marquee Matchup: US Open Quarterfinals


Finally, we've arrived at our first Men's Marquee Matchup of the '07 US Open. Although World No. 1 Roger Federer has a most dominant record over Andy Roddick (13 - 1) there are a couple of factors that make this battle a Marquee Matchup: 1) A-Rod is still a Top 5 player, 2) he's an American and it's a quarterfinal at the US Open under the lights. How did they get here?

Fed was seriously pushed for the first set and a half against streaky Spaniard Feliciano Lopez, losing a set but then settling down for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 win. A-Rod was the beneficiary of Czech Tomas Berdych's retirement in their match, due to illness, and moved on to face Fed in the quarters. The last time these players met was in this year's Australian Open where Fed completely embarrassed the American with a 6-4, 6-0, 6-2 whipping.

Here's Fed on playing A-Rod:

"Yeah, I pretty much know his game. Yeah, I do. But, again, you know, he's played in different ways against me. He's obviously tried a lot: Returning from far back, returning in, chip and charging, serve and volleying, playing from the baseline with me. He's tried everything, so I hope I won't get surprised next match."

A-Rod had this to say about playing Fed:

"I mean, I think we played each other enough, you kind of know [each other's games.] I don't think I'm going to watch him and discover that he's good tonight, you know. [...] No offense to López, but I'm kind of already preparing for Roger."

Bud Collins for MSNBC.com isn't giving A-Rod's current game much of a chance against the dominant Swiss. Unfortunately, we aren't either. We just hope he fights hard and puts on a good show.

1 comment:

  1. all i have to say is 13 and 1. That is Fed's record against A-Rod.

    I am sure the promoter at the USTA are hoping for something magical to happen here that will actually turn this into a marquee match up. But given the history, it's seems like another routine game for Fed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...