Google Down the Line!: THE LOW DOWN: Sour grapes for Serena Williams


Wednesday, September 5, 2007

THE LOW DOWN: Sour grapes for Serena Williams


Serena "ReRe" Williams was thoroughly dismissed by World No. 1 Justine Henin in their quarterfinal Marquee Matchup at the US Open last night. Clearly chomping on sour grapes after the loss, ReRe was short and sarcastic in her post-match press conference. In typical fashion, she barely gave any credit to the Belgian's outstanding performance. Here are some outtakes from the interview:

Q. Can you explain what went wrong out there tonight?
A. No, I can't. I'm sorry. Any more questions?

Q. Can you describe your emotions after the match? Are you devastated by this loss?
A. No. I'm very happy.

Q. You fought pretty hard to get back into the first set. She played a good tiebreak. Second set, your level seemed to drop.
A. No, I just think she played better. I just think she made a lot of lucky shots, and I made a lot of errors. I don't think my level dropped.

Q. Are you saying that you lost the match rather than Justine won it?
A. I think that's usually the case with me, that it's for me to win or lose.

Q. How do you examine a loss like this? Do you go back and look at the tape?
A. Yeah, I got to go back and study and figure out how to beat her. That's it. Bottom line.

(image courtesy of AP Photo)

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps Serena will reach her potential when she does a reality check with regard to her fitness, her attitude and the dedication her opponents have shown these vital elements of being a champion.
    Justine Henin is a complete athlete.Serena Williams is not.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...