Google Down the Line!: PREVIEW: US Open Men's Final


Sunday, September 9, 2007

PREVIEW: US Open Men's Final


Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic
Head-to-head: Federer 4, Djokovic 1
Last meeting: Montreal Masters Series, Djokovic 7-6(2) 2-6 7-6(2)

Here we have what will hopefully become a great rivalry between a living legend and dynamic up-and-comer. No. 1 seed Roger Federer will be going for his 12th Grand Slam title in 5 years (and tying Roy Emerson on the all-time Grand Slam title list) when he takes on rising star and No. 3 seed Novak Djokovic for the US Open title. Fed battled a very game Nikolay Davydenko but came out with a 7-5, 6-1, 7-5 semifinal victory. Nole finally got his explosive game on track and defeated Spaniard David Ferrer easily 6-4, 6-4, 6-3. The last time these two players met was last month at the Montreal Masters Series where the sexy Serb shocked the tennis world by defeating the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 players in the world in succession.

Here's what Fed had to say about Nole:

"Well, I mean, he's been now playing the tour for one and a half years. I mean, the players know him. I've played him already five times, so it's not like it's totally new, you know, for all of us. But, yeah, I mean, he's done an incredible job, because I remember the first time I played him in Monaco. I beat him in three sets. Everybody was wondering, What do you think? I was like, Not crazy impressed. But he's had a great run and he's really improved his game. Yeah, I mean, he's done a great job the last six months or one year now."

Nole had this to say about playing Fed:

"Well, a lot of people ask me what it takes to win against him. But I think one of the crucial things is you got to be mentally very steady and very consistent and you just have to believe in yourself and believe in the victory. Now everything else is a matter of, of course, mental condition, physical condition. You have to be a hundred percent ready physically to challenge him, especially if you play him in the finals of any tournament and a Grand Slam where he performs his best tennis. But, you know, I'm gonna try, if I play him, to be myself, be aggressive, try to be in the control of the match, which is going to be difficult, and just believe in the victory."

Outlook:
Nole was brilliant, focused, and confident in Montreal and he'll need to be all that and more to defeat the legendary Swiss in a Grand Slam final. Matt Cronin for USOpen.org says look out for a battle, but he gives the edge and a 12th Grand Slam to Fed, but Bud Collins for MSNBC.com is giving Nole the title. We're picking Nole - if for nothing else but to see him celebrate a first Grand Slam by taking it ALL off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...