Google Down the Line!: US OPEN FASHION PREVIEW: Nike styles for Nadal, Federer, Serena, Sharapova, Li and Azarenka


Sunday, August 14, 2011

US OPEN FASHION PREVIEW: Nike styles for Nadal, Federer, Serena, Sharapova, Li and Azarenka


This time of year always fills me with joy mixed with a bit of sadness. The US Open is coming and the excitement builds inside me as I walk around New York City confronted by signs it's almost here. The "It Must Be (fill in the blank)" ads are all over the place with graffiti scribbled on, ballers' eyes scratched out and penises drawn into their wide open mouths with marker. It's like a rite of passage in these parts AND I LOVE IT.

But the arrival of the US Open also means we're entering the end of the Grand Slam tennis season and it makes me sad. Don't get me wrong. The fall indoor season is nice and the end of year tourneys are important. But nothing does me as good as a knock down, bare knuckle fifth set bruiser or a ladies' 3-set epic with everything on the line. You'd think I'd be used to the feeling of the majors passing but every year it's the same.

Something that always tickles me in my happy place (no, not Nole sweaty and shirtless this time), though, is Grand Slam tennis fashion. So let's take a look at what Nike has for their boys and girls starting with defending champ Rafael Nadal. He's wearing the Fall Rafa Ace Court Crew in white with sonic yellow ($65) paired with the Fall Woven Short ($65) in black for the day. For his night matches he'll be wearing the same top but in treasure blue with sonic yellow paired with the same short in obsidian navy with white.

Check out the US Open duds for Roger Federer, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Li Na and Victoria Azarenka after the jump!



Nike has five-time US Open winner Roger Federer going casual to a little less casual for his kits. In the day Fed will be working the RF Trophy Court Crew in sport red ($75) paired with the Trophy Woven Tape Short in anthracite grey (about $52).


For his night matches he'll keep the same short but switch into the RF Trophy Court Polo ($80) in anthracite grey. The whole color scheme of this group is reminiscent of what the sports brand did for him back in 2008.



Serena Williams is on an absolute tear right now winning Toronto today and Stanford a couple of weeks ago. There's no doubt she's itching to add another championship to the three she already owns from Flushing Meadows. I'm assuming she'll be outfitted in the Autumn Smash Hard Court Dress ($90) in scarlet fire for her day matches.


Here's ReRe in the same dress this time in treasure blue, which looks like a night color to me.


Maria Sharapova, champion in 2006, will be wearing dresses from the Maria Sharapova Collection of course. For her day matches the Russian will be working the Maria Ace Day Dress ($120) in neutral grey, purple and solar red.


Here's Shrieka's night dress. Sorry, that's the info I have for this dress since I couldn't find anyone who's selling it. But let me come up with something completely made up: The design on the straps was inspired by some architecture in New York City. So there.


Roland Garros champ Li Na will be hoping for her first US Open title when she takes the court in the Autumn Smash Classic Top ($50) in scarlet red paired with the Fall Smash Pleated Skort ($55) in ironstone.


Victoria Azarenka finally broke the quarterfinal curse at Wimbledon reaching her first major semifinal. She'll be looking to go a bit further on the fast courts of the US Open where she'll debut the Fall Set Point Knit Dress ($80) in blue glow (read: it's bright, y'all).

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Do tell!

[Photo(s) credit: Nike]

5 comments:

  1. Fed's kits always bore me. Same with Maria's. Love ReRe's outfit. I'm usually not a fan of Vika but I like the bright blue..it should pop. Rafa always looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you think Maria's strap detail was inspired by the legendary Chrysler building? Fed's kits usually bore me, too - but what are the options. I did like his "tuxedo" look, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fed's gear doesn't bore me, but I really appreciate the classic look mixed in with bold colors. I love Sharapova, but I don't think she's had a good look since the U.S. Open evening wear style she had the year she won.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There wasn't anything I drooled over this time around, I must say. I don't get the design on Rafa's shirt - is it more architectural influence or graffiti gone wrong? Fed's is meh.

    As for the ladies, I think the treasure blue version of ReRe's dress could be cool. If I had to choose I'd pick between Shrieka's dresses I'd pick the night dress - love the darker grey tones. Vika's dress color might be interesting but dresses never flatter her body type. She looks better in separates that can give her some shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I might have thought once that fashion was "just extra" to tennis. But to see this drab set of clothes...it's like they're saying "we're not that excited to be here" - and now I appreciate all the extras : the man bag, the pirattas and bicep shirts, princess Maria, eleVen, and all of them. I guess they're pretty tired.

    Marry me, Rafa!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...