Google Down the Line!: (UPDATED) Ana Ivanovic's struggles continue, suffers foot injury in Cincinnati


Saturday, August 14, 2010

(UPDATED) Ana Ivanovic's struggles continue, suffers foot injury in Cincinnati


Ana Ivanovic finally seemed destined to get her game back in track after hitting through her draw and reaching the semifinals in Cincinnati. But, after sustaining a left foot injury during her match against Kim Clijsters, she's in a race against time to be fit for the Pilot Pen where she grabbed a wild card and the U.S. Open.

The former top lady baller suffered the injury while hitting her fave forehand in the fourth game of the first set. After receiving on-court medical treatment she tried to play but could only get through two points before leaving the court in tears. Here's what she had to say about that moment in the match (via AnaIvanovic.com):

"All of a sudden on that one shot I felt like something crack a little bit. I was very scared. I'm obviously disappointed the way it finished, because I felt like I had a really good run and it was a good start to the match for both of us, I think.
(photo courtesy of GVTennisNews)
And just on that one forehand when I went to step around it, I just felt like pain all of a sudden, so much pain in my foot and I couldn't step on it anymore. I tried a bit of tape, but I could not put any weight on it, and there was no point in me continuing."

She left afterward to have an MRI done on her foot and said she would release a statement after the tests were completed.

As if the Serb needed more frustration and disappointment here comes more. You've got to feel for NaturAna right now - she's really going through it with her struggling game, the Montreal brouhardyha and now this injury. She was playing confident, inspired tennis and for the first time in a long time looked happy and relaxed out there.

Ironically, Kimmie also suffered a similar injury earlier in the season and described hearing a "crack" in her foot. Unfortunately it knocked her out of the entire clay season including Roland Garros. Let's hope there's better news for NaturAna. *fingers crossed*

UPDATE: It appears based on the MRI that she's suffered strained ligaments in her ankle and not a bone fracture according to her website. No word on the recovery time as of yet.

[Photo(s): Getty Images]
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...