Google Down the Line!: MEDIA MASHUP: SO LONG, SAFIN


Wednesday, November 11, 2009

MEDIA MASHUP: SO LONG, SAFIN


Marat Safin played his final professional match at the Paris Masters today. In a symbolic passing of the torch, the former U.S. Open champ fought hard but eventually succumbed to the reigning U.S. Open champ Juan Martin del Potro 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. He ended his 13-year career with 15 titles including 2 majors, 422-267 singles record and nine weeks as the world's top baller.

The pair shared some MOMA at the net after match point followed by a sweet gesture by Delpo: he made his way over to SexGawd's side of the ump's chair to spend some time and share some words with the new retiree.



In an emotional ceremony, the 2-time Grand Slammer was given the key to Paris from President of the French Tennis Federation (FFT) Jean Gachassin followed by a video tribute starring the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Nikolay Davydenko. A number of past and present ballers joined him on court to celebrate the moment including Nole, Gilles Simon, Ivo Karlovic, Tommy Robredo, Federico Gil, Albert Costa, Younes El Aynaoui, Marc Rosset and Delpo.

He had a few things to say about his career:

[My best moments] came in different stages of my career. Beginning with 1998 Roland Garros when I qualified and I beat [Andre] Agassi and [Gustavo] Kuerten and I lost to [Cedric] Pioline. And of course there is the next one, winning the 2000 US Open.

I don't have a lot of them [titles] only 15, so not too many majors. But they were really special and very welcome. A lot of people [think] that I'm not really [a] hard worker, but you can ask all my coaches how I dedicated myself to tennis. I worked for it, and I worked very hard.
Here's video of the ceremony in case you missed it.

CHECK IT (thanks Jills) :



Even though he wasn't winning anymore, Marat had a unmistakable presence whenever he stepped onto the court and a unique way with words that could only be described as "Safinisms."

We'll miss you SexGawd. May you go happily into the tennis afterlife.

*sniffles*

More images from the ceremony below.




(Photos: Getty, AP)

8 comments:

  1. Someone at the ATP sure likes Sigur Ros!They used Hoppipolla as the soundtrack to their 'Fed's 15 slams' tribute video as well...

    Awww,he looked like he was *whisper it* almost getting teary watching that video :(

    Part of me would love him to 'unretire' in a couple of years (and some players like Fed have said they're sad he's going so soon),but in another sense he's SO done mentally that I think he's right to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last picture - in my mind the proceed to take their shirts of and wrestle.

    t

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never like a player as much as I like him. Next year will definitely not be the same without him. I hope he finds something he's passionate about and is successful in his life after tennis.
    Davai, Marat! I'll miss you.
    meli

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a sad day. a very sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a sad day, I actually cried a bit watching the end of the match. I can't believe my boy Marat is hanging it up but I do think it's the right time. He hasn't been in a tournament final in a long time and I believe the last couple of years had been tormenting him. Hopefully he can cruise off into the sunset and live a happy life. I just worry about him getting bored and going a bit off the deep end ala Bjorn Borg.

    Eres lo maximo Marat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx a ton for posting the link to the video ! The tv coverage stopped exactly at the point when Delpo headed over to sit with Marat :-/
    Off topic : What exactly is going on between Gilly n Nole in the last pic ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love the kiss in the second picture. I know it's not actually a kiss but for me it will always be one. *drool* :P

    And xeres: I know, what is with those two? Are they actually touching each others thighs there?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Davai Marat :'(

    Xeres and Sonja: Nole and Gillou are indeed having a precious moment together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...