Google Down the Line!: Quote of the Day: Dementieva


Thursday, July 3, 2008

Quote of the Day: Dementieva


I mean, if they're going to play against each other, I mean, I don't know what to say. I mean, I cannot imagine myself playing against someone from my family. It's really hard. For sure it's going to be a family decision.

- Elena Dementieva on the all-Williams Wimbledon final

Is the Russian eluding to the old match-fixing allegations leveled against Venus + Serena in the past or is this an issue with translation?

(image via Getty)

3 comments:

  1. wow, how bitter...to think they would stage a match is ridiculous...what a pathetic unnecessary comment to make... I DO think that they dont play their best tennis when playing against eachother, but to call it a family decision is so stupid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for "lost in translation." Close case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a linguistic phraseology issue. In Russian "family decision" in this context means that if the family decided to have both Williams sisters to be tennis players then they accepted the possibility of them to each other at some point. Elena did not mean that the match is going to be fixed, especially when you read the rest of her interview, where she praises the professionalism of both sister and what a fighter players they are.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...