Google Down the Line!: Serena Williams featured in Monarch Magazine, "I can [play tennis] for another eight years," says Serena


Friday, February 1, 2008

Serena Williams featured in Monarch Magazine, "I can [play tennis] for another eight years," says Serena


The camera-loving Serena "ReRe" Williams, who showed a shyer side on a recent night out with rumored boyfriend Common, is featured in the newest issue of Monarch Magazine. Essentially, the publication pens a love letter to the 8-time Grand Slam champion, discussing her humble beginnings, domination of the tennis world stage, and funding of a future academic school for children in Senegal.


Here's a highlight from a Q & A with ReRe feature at the end of the article:

Being an African American in this sport, how do you think your success has changed the view of life for young African Americans who follow your career? It's been great. When I was growing up, there weren't many African American tennis players that I could look up to out there, except for Zena Garrison. She had such an impact on my life. I hope that I might have that same impact on others some day. Then I would know that everything I've done would have been worthwile.

Out of all the success you have had at this game, what has it taught you personally? I think it's just to always be true to who I am, and humble at the same time. That is my life lesson. In this business one day your in and one day you could be out. I just want to enjoy success while I can.

How long do you think you can keep playing this game professionally? Well, I'm enjoying it so much. The energy and excitement is always there. I can do it for another eight years.

Another eight years? We've never heard ReRe say she'd continue to play this long - she'd be 34 by this point. With her talent, she certainly could though we're not sure her body will hold up that long. Interesting statement, nonetheless.



(images via monarchmagazine.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...