Google Down the Line!: Novak Djokovic wins Aussie Open for first Grand Slam, celebrates family-style


Sunday, January 27, 2008

Novak Djokovic wins Aussie Open for first Grand Slam, celebrates family-style


Serbian stunner: Novak Djokovic is a Grand Slam champion. As we predicted, the World No. 3 defeated unseeded Frenchie Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in 4 sets, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (7-2), to win the Australian Open title and became the first tennis baller from Serbia to win a Grand Slam singles title. After the historic win, Nole told the press,

"I always believed [I could win a Grand Slam.] You know, I always believed. I didn't want to think in a negative way. I always had a big support, especially from my parents, my father. You know, I think he always believed more in me than I did in myself."

"With the way I was playing throughout all the junior years and junior events, I think I earned enough confidence and motivation to be a professional tennis player and to be as a Grand Slam champion."

"So, you know, for somebody it was not realistic, for somebody, yes. And it was difficult to judge in that time because Serbia doesn't have such a big tennis tradition. Considering all these bad times we had, you know, in the time when I grew up and practicing there. So it was basically impossible if you look in it that way, but I always believed."


The new Aussie Open champ, pulling his trademark shirtless moment, celebrated with his ever-present family including father Grdjan, momma Dijana, and brothers Djordje + Marko (who also play tennis) in the locker room.

Could the Djokovics be the next tennis dynasty?

(images via Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...