Google Down the Line!: Men's 1st Marquee Matchup: Australian Open Semifinals


Thursday, January 24, 2008

Men's 1st Marquee Matchup: Australian Open Semifinals


Finally: Here's our first Men's Marquee Matchup of the Australian Open and it could be a great one. This semifinal pits World No. 1 Roger Federer, going for his 13th Grand Slam, against Novak Djokovic in a rematch of their US Open final battle from last season. The winner will take on a perfect-playing Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for the title on Sunday.

Fed took on a familiar foe in James Blake and closed the match with a familiar ending - a win for the Swiss over the American 7-5, 7-6 (5), 6-4. Nole battled World No. 5 David Ferrer and, with the exception of a slight shaky ending, easily defeated the Spaniard 6-0, 6-3, 6-4. The last time these two tennis ballers met was in last year's US Open final where Fed saved 7 of 9 break points en route to a 7-6(4), 7-6(2), 6-4 victory and 12th Grand Slam.

Here's what the Swiss Stylist said about playing Nole:

"He obviously had seven set points in the first couple of sets [of the US Open final] and hurt him big time. But I think level was very good. So actually was the level at Montreal when we played against each other. And we usually have always very good matches when we play. I look forward to playing my best tennis about Novak Djokovic. I look forward to playing to win. That's what my mindset is, really."
Nole had this to say about battling Fed:
"So I felt that after the win against Roger in Montreal, I had big chances in the [US Open] final, though I didn't use my opportunities that has been given to me, and now I look at the things in a different way. You know, every time I play with Roger or with the best players in the world, I learn something new, I have another experience. And I try to ‑‑ I try to watch matches, you know, speak with the coach and see what I need to do so I can ‑‑ so I can play better, save some energy, you know, improve my game, and win against the best players in the world.
This match is all about execution - who will keep focus and hit their shots when it counts. We know how the World No. 1 will play, but will the 20-year old Serb stay calm in the tight moments? He missed countless opportunities in the US Open final but has shown composure when it mattered most here. We're feeling an upset brewing - so we'll pick Nole in 5 sets to reach his first Aussie Open final.

(images via ROMEO GACAD/AFP/Getty Images + Rick Stevens/AP)

2 comments:

  1. Wow...Federer's out. Not terribly surprising given each players' tournaments and their lead up preparation (or lack thereof) but still a pretty huge upset. I hope people don't start calling it the "end of an era" now. All the great, dominating players lost. Fed will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly - we shouldn't read too much into this loss. but, i do think his level of dominance will start to come down this year - it's only natural plus the younger players are finding their games.

    Fed will continue to contest Grand Slam finals, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...