Google Down the Line!: Lindsay Davenport talks tennis, working motherhood, and Kim Clijsters


Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lindsay Davenport talks tennis, working motherhood, and Kim Clijsters

We've been covering the very successful return of Lindsay Davenport to the WTA Tour. She's competing this week at the China Open and has reached the quarterfinals with a win over Greece's Eleni Daniilidou, 7-5, 6-3. In a recent interview, the former World No. 1 spoke about being a working mom, getting the balance right, and her thoughts on another mom-to-be, the now-retired Kim Clijsters:


On being a working mom:

"It's been really fun to do both, " [...] "At the beginning when I would leave and go and play tennis for a couple of hours I would have all this guilt" [...] "But I've learned that it's probably been good for both of us." [...] I feel like my life on the road is more fulfilled now I have my son with me" [...] "Once the tennis is over all my attention is on him and I think that helps me focus on the court."

On the challenges of coming back:
"Just physically, your body is really different after giving birth and I'm definitely not back to where I was before," [...] "It will probably take a few months ... I'm definitely not the fastest player out there so I have to rely on my anticipation."

On Kim Clijsters:

"[...] I just have to talk Kim (Clijsters) into coming back," [...] "I don't think she has any plans to do it but we'll try."

On her goals for tennis:

"It's been a wildly successful trip for me whatever happens here," [...] "For me it's just about the challenge of trying to get back to the top, of trying to win tournaments and being a force on the tour again."

(source, images via AP Photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...