Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Day 3


Thursday, September 1, 2011

HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Day 3


Q. What were your emotions when you stepped onto the grounds here for the first time since having won the championship?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: It's very, very strong, you know, see the fans, the crowds. After the match the guy who was with the microphone, he say the only player who beat No. 1 No. 2 of player of the world in the Grand Slam. You know, it's an honor. And I want to say thank you to the fans, to the Argentinian people who come to see me play here. I know who was behind me in the right moments and I know who are in this moment, too.

Q. Is it hard to believe it was two years ago, or does it seem like it was two years ago?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, to be honest, I feel like the final was yesterday, because when I was walking around the street or when I talk with the fans, they say, I remember your final; you can repeat; you can win again. It's every, every day, every time say or talk about this tournament.

More 'HE SAID/SHE SAID' from US Open Day 3 after the jump - click the header y'all.


Q. You were talking about your friends looking for autographs. Did you get any?

CHRISTINA McHALE: Yeah. We got everyone, I think.

Q. Such as?

CHRISTINA McHALE: I think I got Rafa's autograph. That was exciting for us. We got Agassi, too. Yeah, so...

Q. Why the nerves [in the opening match]?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, try being a British player going into a Grand Slam. It's not easy (smiling). You know, there's obviously pressure playing in these events to start with. Then, obviously, you know, when you haven't played the guy you're playing before, it's a match you're expected to win, there's obviously going to be a bit of nerves. But I'm happy with that. You know, if I'm going in and not nervous, you know, there's something wrong with you if you're going into a slam not nervous. So it was good to get it out of the way. Played better as the match went on. Hopefully next round will be better.

Q. Did the fact that you had to wait an extra day, does that prey on your mind a little bit? Do you have too much time to think about starting off?

ANDY MURRAY: It doesn't make a huge difference. But, I mean, whereas I guess if you sort of play Monday, Thursday, or a Tuesday, Friday, if you have a really long match you got a long time to recover. Whereas if you have a long one, you know, if you get a Wednesday start, you know, you've only got the day. So you want to try and, if possible, conserve energy. You're prepared to play a long one. So obviously wanted to get through the match as quickly as possible and maybe was rushing a little bit at the start. Once I settled down and started to play some longer points and stuff I played better. Yeah, the Wednesday start, it didn't make a difference necessarily to how I was preparing. But just I think it makes more sense to have Monday, Tuesday starts.

Q. There are Code of Conducts for players. Should there be a Code of Conduct for the fans?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: In terms of what?

Q. I understand at Stanford you had two women during one of your matches that were talking so loudly it actually became a distraction to you.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I'm not sure if that was my match.

Q. Have you had that happen? It happened here yesterday on Ashe.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Was it a night match?

Q. No. It was first match on.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Drinking early. I mean, I think at midnight they have an excuse. I mean, they're watching women's tennis at midnight (laughter). I don't know. I think obviously it's important that they follow the rules. You know, this is not like a baseball game or, you know, a soccer game where you just talk and yell and scream and don't even watch half the game. It's quite different. So I'm sure that I always say that a big part of the stadium probably has never seen a tennis match in their life. They go out there, and for them it's like party, entertainment.

Q. Are you saying you wouldn't watch women's tennis at midnight?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I said it on the court. I mean at 10:30 I'm under the covers; at 11:00 I'm out. I don't think I'd watch anything at midnight.

Q. You're close to the Williams sisters. What makes Venus so special? What are your thoughts?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, yeah, that's a question that probably warrants more of my time than I have to give right now. I mean, if you think about their story, if you actually think about it, I think we take it for granted. A lot of times they've drawn a lot of criticism. But, trust me, five years, when they're gone, everyone is going to miss them. Everyone is going to realize they're going to be living legends for the rest of their lives. Two girls from Compton dominating tennis, that's not an everyday story, the way they've gone about it. Venus is just the epitome of class, the way she's gone about it. I don't think she's ever even had a sniff of controversy around her. She's just done it the right way.

Q. Is there a Venus moment you remember the most or a win that caught your attention from her?

ANDY RODDICK: Certainly enough to choose from. I mean, obviously when I think of her I think of Wimbledon. I feel like that's just where she belongs. You know, it just seems right there. My memories are a lot different. My memories are when we're 10 years old and we're on the courts next to each other and it was all ahead of us. There was all this hype around these two girls but they weren't playing tournaments, so everyone was talking about how good they were, how good they weren't. Everyone had an opinion. Turns out they were pretty good.

Q. When did you pass her in height?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't think I have (smiling).

Q. You said your son was another motivator for you to keep going.

ALEX BOGOMOLOV, JR.: Yeah, of course. Yeah, I want him to have memory of me playing. He's almost two. Hopefully I have five, six more years. By that time hopefully he has a memory.

Q. What is your favorite memory of your father through tennis that you want to pass on to your child?

ALEX BOGOMOLOV, JR.: I just remember always when he was traveling, he always came back with new racquets, clothing, toys, when nobody else was traveling at the time. All the kids would come over. We were playing Nintendo when nobody else had it. He made me sort of cool like in a way in front of the other kids. Yeah, he was like a local hero, but for me he was my hero, so that made it even more special. As far as him working in tennis, I just always listened to what everybody else had to say. Everybody was like afraid of my dad because he was such a hard worker. If you were on his court, you actually achieved something. I always sort of felt the vibe of people, how they were foreseeing my dad.

Q. Sometimes when you step away from the game and teach the game, you learn the game.

ALEX BOGOMOLOV, JR.: Yeah, I think so.

Q. After the match you waved the American flag. I've never seen that before.

IRINA FALCONI: It's a year of firsts (smiling).

Q. That's true. What did you hope to convey by doing that?

IRINA FALCONI: I've heard so much about media talking about American tennis, and I really wanted to portray that there's a huge wave of American players. I have an American coach and trainer, Jeff and Kim Wilson. I strongly believe in all that is USA, and I wanted to represent it and show the world that it's coming. It's coming. No need to wait any longer.

Q. Whose idea was that?

IRINA FALCONI: It was totally out of instinct. I have the flag in my bag. It's a good luck flag that was given to me by my trainer, Kim Wilson. I really felt that it couldn't have been a more perfect time.

Q. There's another sport in Nebraska considerably more important than tennis. How does a kid from Nebraska end up being focused on tennis just to get into the mix at the junior level?

JACK SOCK: I mean, I played a bunch of different sports growing up. I was very active, athletic. I mean, I played everything. I played soccer and tennis till probably 10, 11, and then I chose tennis. I think it's worked out so far pretty well. I mean, my dad was a big golfer. So, I mean, that's a sport I like to play in my off time, when I can, to relax. But, yeah, I think I just made the decision at an early age and took it full force and just went out there and traveled and played.

Q. So no football?

JACK SOCK: I'd get broken in half. That wouldn't go so well.

Q. You're a big enough guy.

JACK SOCK: Maybe a receiver.

[Photo(s) credit: Getty Images]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...