Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Days 1 + 2


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

HE SAID/SHE SAID: US Open Days 1 + 2


Yeah, Mardy. I feel the same way. A few of these questions are head-in-the-hand BAD. Who writes their stuff anyway? Oh wait. THEY DO.

P.S. I love you already, Ms. Keys. Not in a creepy, stalkeratti kinda way but in a "You get fashion and therefore you're awesome"  way. You knows what's up.

Check out 'HE SAID/SHE SAID' from Days 1 + 2 at the US Open after the jump!

Q. Do you think you used to be able to play this game being heavier?

MARDY FISH: Well, yeah, I mean, it wasn't that bad. (Laughter.)

Q. No, I mean less quick, you know, there's a demand on players now that there didn't used to be.

MARDY FISH: There certainly is, yeah. It's a much more physical game than when I came out in '02, '03, '04 kind of thing. There is a much bigger emphasis on fitness, as well. If you're not fit, you're not gonna win anything significant. You're not gonna do anything significant out here.

Q. You said it wasn't that bad, but I think last year you said you actually looked at pictures of yourself from then and said to Stacey, Why didn't you tell me?

MARDY FISH: I did. And I told Christian [LoCascio], too.

Q. What was her reply?

MARDY FISH: I don't know. She was in love with me, I guess was her reply. (Laughter.) No, their reply always was that they didn't think I was that it's drastic, the pictures together are drastic now, but they didn't know any differently. That's what I always looked like.

Q. It seemed like you were having a little bit of trouble with your toss on your serve. Do you think that had anything to do with the court?

SABINE LISICKI: Not with the court, obviously. But, you know, everything is different here. It's a little bit windy, you know, but that's all right. I think I did well enough to win today.

Q. Where do things stand with you on the coaching front now? How settled are you there?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I'm settled. I like the way I have everything now. You know, I'm happy about things around my team. I'm happy about the way I'm playing, how everything is right now. So I can just focus on the things on court.

Q. It's not that common, though, for a top player to hire a mystery coach who is kind of in the background. Just talk about that from your perspective, because it is a little strange for you as No. 1 to make a major hire and basically no one except for you and your team know who it is.

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, well, I have to respect him as well. So if he wants to be in the background and not have his name out, I have to respect that. So that's mainly why.

Q. Have you gotten any advice from him in the last week or two? I understand he's watching video. Are you talking to him?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, I have, you know, even yesterday. You know, he's been watching me play and telling me a few things. It's good. It's working well.

Q. You have completed now four major championships for the year. Are you satisfied with the year? Is it a plus for you? How do you feel about the year?

RYAN HARRISON: Um, you know, I'm excited that I've put myself into position where I know that I can beat these guys. I know that I can realistically if I play correctly and if I play the way I know I can, I'm capable of beating anybody, which is something I can be excited about.

Q. Is there a kind of rivalry between you and Laura at the moment?

HEATHER WATSON: Is there a what?

Q. A rivalry.

HEATHER WATSON: I think it's like a good rivalry. We're friends and we support each other. But at the same time, when we see each other doing well, of course we're competitive, that's why we're in this sport, and we want to do better than the other one.

Q. Do you feel the success of Tiger Woods in golf put unnecessary pressure on you in this sport? Doesn't have a lot of African American stars.

DONALD YOUNG: I don't 100% know. Maybe that's part of it. I just think it was because of like American tennis and they were just looking for like with Harrison now, they're looking for someone to come in and take the throne and start winning slams and start dominating.

Q. What did you do during the hurricane to entertain yourself? Did you just stare out the window?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I went to the gym; I did a little workout; I played with my dog; I had room service. Everything else was just about closed. Everything that was opened was completely packed. There's an antique store open down the street, which I thought was probably the best day of their life because of everyone walking around. They never thought they were going to sell that old giraffe that's been there for a hundred years (laughter). Yeah, even my dog kept like going back to his little bag. It kind of freaked me out because that's a sign he wanted to go home. Maybe the hurricane was going to be bad. We were lucky, yeah, that it was just a little rain.

Q. A little fashion question. What were some of the colors? That was a nice outfit. I didn't know how to describe the colors.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's like lavender gray and fluorescent pink accents.

Q. Was it a cold kind of illness [that kept you out recently]? And energy sucking illness?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, it was just energy sucking and I just couldn't play pro tennis. It was disappointing, because I had huge plans for this summer, of course, to improve my ranking. To miss out on all those points was definitely devastating. Just to miss so much time off tour was just disheartening. But I'm just really excited to be back.

Q. Was there an official diagnosis or a name for it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, there was.

Q. Which is?

VENUS WILLIAMS: It's outside of the press room, that name. But it's good to be here.

Q. What [height] have you stopped at?

BERNARD TOMIC: I'm at 6'4" now, 6'5" now, which is a good height for tennis. No more taller than that, otherwise I'll have to play basketball.

Q. 195, 196?

BERNARD TOMIC: Yeah, 195.

Q. Why are you so confident you've stopped growing?

BERNARD TOMIC: I'm not that confident. I mean, I assume so. I haven't grown in the last eight, nine months. I would imagine so. I could have another growth spurt in a year. If that a happens I might have to switch sports. Only joking.

Q. When you beat Venus in 2002, you talked about in 10 years I'll get to show my kids what I did. It suggests that you didn't perhaps think you would still be...

SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, my God, what a loser. I said that? Oh, my goodness, no way. I had a dream last night that Venus was pregnant.

Q. Did you tell Venus that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Not yet.

Q. To clarify a subject you touched on in the press conference yesterday, what importance has this egg, the hyperbaric chamber had in its therapy for you? How much have you used it in the last year? Is there any sort of controversial aspect to it in your mind?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, look, you know, I said yesterday, and I'm gonna repeat it I think for the last time, you know, because I really wouldn't like to speak about it anymore because I don't there is no reason to open the subject. I have used it a couple of times, very few times last year just to test it and see how it is, and since then I haven't used it at all, you know, this year. So I cannot really say what's the effect. It doesn't have any influence on my success that I had in last 10 months, so that's really all I can say.

Q. Is there something controversial about it, for those of us that aren't that familiar with it?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I really don't know. There is nothing controversial. As I was aware, you know, many athletes, successful athletes, have been using that in the past. But as I said, I haven't used it for 12 months so I really don't know. I didn't keep track with its technology.

Q. I read somewhere your inspiration for getting into tennis was one of Venus Williams' outfits; is that right? Tell us that story.

MADISON KEYS: I was four, and I walked through my parents' bedroom. I think they were watching Wimbledon or something, and I decided I wanted Venus' dress. They told me if I played tennis they'd buy me a tennis dress. I said, All right, I'll try it. I have been playing ever since.

Q. Have you told Venus this story?

MADISON KEYS: I have not, actually.

Q. Do you think maybe you should now?

MADISON KEYS: I think it just kinda shows how important outfits are.

This girl's got it.

[Photo(s) credit: Getty Images]

3 comments:

  1. Ok I'm a moron but I don't know where the 'jump' is. I can never find these posts. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blame me for being on stupid Blogger (just kidding, love you!!!). Click the headline and the post will open up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Love these posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...