Google Down the Line!: Talk about shiny, happy people


Monday, June 13, 2011

Talk about shiny, happy people


Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen Andy Murray as happy/excited/toothy as I did today after he won his first title of the year over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 3-6, 7-6(2), 6-4 at Queen's Club. He even sounded genuinely happy talking about how actually enjoyed his tennis this week after struggling in the early rounds. Notice the word 'fun':
"It's been one of the most fun weeks for me because the tennis, the last two matches was very good. It was relaxing. I said everyone thinks at this period of the year it's so stressful, you can't play, you can't enjoy yourself, you can't do anything. But I felt like I expressed myself on the court. I felt like I was hitting the ball really good. I enjoyed it."

Fun? Who IS this person? It's like someone shoved a happy pill down his throat or, better yet, something clicked and he now knows his game is right up there with the very best. I saw signs of this new attitude over the clay season especially during that 5-setter against Viktor Troicki at Roland Garros. He didn't seem overcome with frustration about an injury, missed opportunities or errors. Rather, he just dug in his Barricades and went to work. And now the Brit baller is even talking like he actually believes he could win the big ol' Wimbledon thingy:
"I'm going to Wimbledon with the feeling that I'm going to win the tournament. I don't think you can go in with any other attitude. I feel like I'm playing good tennis. I'll need to improve the next week or so and work on some things going into Wimbledon." 
Oh my GAWD. His gonads just dropped and he's already talking like he's ready to kick some baller ass. He's ready for the fight and believes finally his best is good enough to win his first major, even at the All England Club. Fuck. Now wouldn't THAT be something???


Just a quick shout out to Sabine Lisicki who won her first title since 2009 defeating Daniela Hantuchova 6-3, 6-2 at Birmingham. I didn't see the match but apparently she served lights out against the slender Slovak. I mean, talk about someone who's been through it. I still can't get the image of Lissie being carried off on a stretcher at Roland Garros out of mind and here she is winning her first title in two years. Go ahead and drink yourself silly, girl. You earned it.

More celebratory shots of Muzz + Lissie after the jump!








[Photo(s) credit: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images, Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty Images, AP]

1 comment:

  1. Murray is just a wuss. He talks about his bad ankle, sore elbow, and he grabs at his left hip and left knee regularly. There's always an excuse with him.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...