Google Down the Line!: + WEDNESDAY NETCORDS: Quick hits from around the grounds


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

+ WEDNESDAY NETCORDS: Quick hits from around the grounds

- Wayne Odesnik was given a 2-year suspension after pleading guilty to possession of human growth hormone (HGH) in Australia. He has denied using the substance and never tested positive for it but the ITF charged him because he did not have a "therapeutic use exemption." His ban will be backdated to start Dec. 29, 2009, and will end Dec. 28, 2011. All his results from this year will be erased.

He released the following statement regarding the suspension:

"
I accept the ITF's decision regarding my sanction for being in possession of a banned substance. I made an honest mistake and I regret the impact that my actions have had on the sport of tennis; a game that I have loved since childhood and one which has given me many great opportunities and memories. The sole reason I was in possession of this banned substance was under doctor's advice for treatment of a recurring shoulder injury. I was unaware at the time that this would be considered an anti-doping violation. I never have taken nor tested positive for any banned substance in my career. Finally, I want to thank all my family, friends, and fans who have been so supportive of me throughout this difficult time. During my time away from tennis, I will try to give back to the game in a positive way and use this experience to motivate me to work harder than ever."

- Juan Martin del Potro will not defend his U.S. Open title after undergoing surgery on his wrist earlier this month.

- So Rafael Nadal swept all the Masters 1000 tourneys on clay this season and defeated nemesis Roger Federer in the Madrid final. So doesn't that make him a lock for a fifth Roland Garros crown? Tom Perrotta ain't so sure.

- FOXSports.com has some big questions about the boys + the ladies at Roland Garros.

[Photo(s): Getty Images]

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Perrotta serious when he claims that because Federer played Nadal kind-of close in Madrid - when they were BOTH not playing well - Federer is going into the French confidant while Nadal is in bad form. Seriously? Because the way I see it both played the same level of not-brilliantness in that final, but Nadal is now sitting on three trophies and Federer ain't got Jack. Given the differences in the conditions between Monte Carlo, Rome and Madrid (with MC a slow clay court and Madrid not a hardcourt only by the skin of its teeth), you wouldn't really expect Nadal to win Madrid as easily as MC. As far as I know RG is a much slower surface than Madrid, without the altitude issues. Feds has been far more vulnerable to 'shock losses' this year than in any previous, which doesn't exactly bode well for this mentality at the moment. How exactly does that equate to a not-shocking loss boosting said confidence?

    As for Odesnik? What the hell took so long? I'm all for due process, innocent-till-proven-guilty and all that, but the dude pled guilty in a criminal court months ago. Due process had already been served.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite disrepute Odensik has brought upon the game, the dignified manner in which he accepted the ITF's decision should be commended. Rather than launch an endless series of appeals, he's taken his punishment on the chin. In comparison track & field athletes, soccer players, and american footballers regularly flout the decisions of their respective governing bodies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...