Google Down the Line!: QUOTE OF THE DAY: NaturAna


Tuesday, May 4, 2010

QUOTE OF THE DAY: NaturAna


I'm very happy with this victory. I knew I had it in me, I've been improving a lot over these past few weeks, playing really well in practice and this time I was able to take something like that kind of play into a match.

- Ana Ivanovic on defeating ninth seed Victoria Azarenka in the second round in Rome, her first Top 10 win since 2008 (Linz, d. Zvonareva) and first back-to-back wins since the Australian Open

Those are some serious monkeys to kick off your back. But let's put the facts on the table before we get our panties all twisted either way shall we? First off, Vika was clearly hampered by the leg injury she sustained in Marbella last month so she wasn't fully fit. But who is fit right now? Tell me. Check.

Secondly, NaturAna still had to win. Yes, she still had to close out match point and that wasn't a sure bet even with a one-legged Belarussian hopping around the other side of the net. And as we tennis fans all know, dealing with an injured opponent is a big mental test never mind having to deal with your own injured psyche. Double check.

Regardless of the circumstances this win will be confidence-boosting. No doubt about it. So I'm happy to see NaturAna string together a pair of nice wins. Next up: Elena Dementieva. Will she win three-in-a-row? Who knows. I mean it's the WTA we're talking about, right?

[Photo(s): Getty]

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. YESSSS!!!

    I am so happy right now! Ana has played decently to well in her last 3 matches. Playing on clay has clearly helped her. I don't care how injured Vika was, a win is a win and this like Rick said, is a confidence booster to Ana. Hope she can continue to play well tomorrow against Elena Dementieva. This was so good to see. Ajde! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you just completely summed the entire WTA tour for the last three years. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...