Google Down the Line!: HE SAID/SHE SAID: Roland Garros Days 1 + 2


Monday, May 24, 2010

HE SAID/SHE SAID: Roland Garros Days 1 + 2

DAY 1

Q. Have you seen Amélie Mauresmo?

Svetlana Kuznetsova: Yes. I texted her this morning going to the club. I say, Hey, you told me you gonna be here a few days. I didn't see you. So she said, I don't want to disturb you. I said, Come on, you're my friend. You cannot disturb. You're former player, no? So she said, Oh, yeah, one day I come to your match. Sure. You have a ticket.

So she would supported me and she supported me before the match. So we had a chat in the locker room. So I appreciate her coming a lot. She's very good friend of mine and I'm happy to see her again. I miss her.


Q. What were the feelings being out there back a year after making your first Grand Slam final in that court?

Robin Soderling: It's nice, you know. Now I don't think about it too much. That was all last year. I have to start over again. Focus on every match. But of course it's always nice to come back to a place where you did well last year. Gives you good feelings.

Q. What would you have to do to prove there was a really big deal if you just smashed a racquet and that's not a big deal, what would be a really big deal?

Ernests Gulbis: What would be a really big deal? Hmm. I don't know. I have to think. That's a good question, actually. Thank you. (laughter.)

I don't know what would be a big deal. Minimum three racquets smashed, throw them to the stands, hit somebody with a ball. I don't know. I have to think about it. I'll get back on you, yeah. I'll think about it.


DAY 2

Q. Tell us about your Twittering, your tweeting and what you enjoy doing about that. And secondly, I asked your sister the same thing about your outfits. How many outfits do you bring to every tournament?

Serena Williams: Well, I tweet a lot. I have just really I don't know. I think it's cool. Sometimes I just tweet what's on my mind and sometimes maybe a little too much. I have a lot of fun with it. I think it's a cool way of connecting with, you know, the die hard fans. For me, I follow Green Day on Twitter, and whenever they tweet I get incredibly excited. I'm like, Oh, my God. I'm so happy and I really like to know what's going on in their lives because I'm a die hard Green Day fanatic.

For those people that like me half as much as I like them, I like to keep them in the loop with my life. I always have seven outfits for singles and six for doubles.

Q. Is it fair to say that the last maybe year or year and a half has not been very much fun for you on the tennis court?

Ana Ivanovic: Not fun at all. You know, it was and also lots of tears and lots of hard times and lots of doubts and fears, everything, but, you know, it's something that you learn. And if you overcome it, it's you learn from it and it makes you better player and person after that.

I have really good people around me now, and I trust them a lot. They're very supportive, and they believe in me when I didn't believe in myself. So that's great to see.


Q. If you ended up trying to tailor your game, or if Americans did, would that not negatively effect how they play on the other hardcourts or anything?

John Isner: No, I disagree. Practicing on clay, even in the hardcourt season which I sometimes do is great. It makes your legs stronger. You're seeing more balls. The points aren't as quick.

I think practicing on clay is it's not a disadvantage at all. If anything, it's gonna help you on every other surface.


Q. Is your coaching situation the same, or has something changed?

Jelena Dokic: I'm alone.




Q. Is your problem of allergic completely resolved now, or you're afraid that it could come back?

Novak Djokovic: Well, look, you know, the thing is that this year has been a struggle for me because it was the first time that I had such a strong reaction, so the season or the Spring already started, and you couldn't do too much with it, so it's still a little bit active, but it's much less than it was in last two months.

So I'm happy that the tough period is behind me, and now I can focus on the court on what I do and try to do it best. For next year I will prepare myself better health wise.


Q. Now, for a while, people have said that Roland Garros could be relocated outside of Paris. What do you think about this at the end of your career to play in Versailles, Gonesse, or Marne La Vallée close to Euro Disney?

Roger Federer: Well, yes, that's a question that people keep on asking during the Grand Slam, that is, people can no longer buy the tickets. The people, the media, ask more. We want to have more, and it's not easy for the tournament, but we have to do our best, and do the best for the tournament.

So if we move elsewhere, does it make sense? I don't know. People will decide. There is a lot of money at stake, and there's a new site, and that means with the new site it means, how can I say? What about the soul of Roland Garros? This is what we might miss after.

So let's think twice before we act. Now, Melbourne, you know, is considering a major change for the years to come. Wimbledon I think will never change. They still have leeway with the golf course. At the US Open they did something new, as well. But I think it was 10 years ago. And it was the old stadium 10 years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

In any case, everybody's always upgraded with the new Lenglen court, with the new Chatrier court. It's changed here at Roland Garros. It's smaller here, the site is smaller. So the question is more important here than anywhere else.


Q. Do you feel like in the last few weeks that it was a good idea to play so many tournaments or do you think it would have been better to take a little time off?

Caroline Wozniacki: Well, you know, there are some rules on the WTA Tour, and we have to follow those rules. Maybe it would have been better if I could have taken a few weeks off, but those are the rules, and I did what I had to do.

Q. When you say those are the rules, it's mostly a question of fines and money. Can you talk about how you juggle that? Why not just pay the fine and take the week off?

Caroline Wozniacki: It's not just a fine. It's also commitment tournaments, zero pointers. Yeah, some other things that plays in mind, and if you read the rules, you'll know. I think we should talk about other things. About my match today, maybe.

[Photo(s): Getty Images]

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I really like John Isner's response to practicing on clay courts. It's really starting to show in his results on clay. He's got the right attitude which I don't think many of the American men have had for quite some time considering only a couple of them even bother to show up to play clay court tournaments. Good luck to John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernie has a hamstring torn. He'll be out for at least 3 weeks. Missing Queens and in doubt for Wimby ;(

    Tennis is less exciting without him.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...